Lens Quality???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1_T_Submariner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all
I have read the Stickys and many of the links and information in the Underwater photo section of the site. I think I understand some for the F-stop shutter speed etc... Not that I know how to apply the theroy or that I really understand.

My question is about quality of the lens in a Point and shoot type camera.

Like steel has different grades/qualities or a Diamond has different clarity etc.... Does the Glass the lens are made out of have this? Is there a way to tell from manufactures specs?

I have been leaning toward a Canon G11 as I have read a lot of good reviews and it is in my price range if I get the canon housing.

Thanks in advance.

There are many types of glass that can be used and effect the quality of the lens system. Moreover, different glass types play different roles in controlling the distortions and aberrations that occur in optical systems. Low dispersion glass, aspheric lenses, and achromatic lenses are the most common "premium" components. Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to judge lens quality from manufactures specs, especially for point and shoot. Point and shoot cameras often don't spec details about lenses.

For dSLR camera lenses, the MTF charts published can give some lens quality information, but they aren't necessarily comparable between different manufacturers. You can, however, find websites that compare lenses from different manufactures using the same standards.

My question is about quality of the lens in a Point and shoot type camera.

Like steel has different grades/qualities or a Diamond has different clarity etc.... Does the Glass the lens are made out of have this? Is there a way to tell from manufactures specs?

A fast lens is a brighter lens, and only good quality glass will result in a fast, bright lens.

Canon S90 has the current P&S $h!t hot lens, as well as raw image files. Also no hot shoe and one control ring not accessible in housings (yet?). The holy grail of P&S is the imaginary and mythical G90 in an equally dreamy compact but full camera function housing that accepts the INON 100 28AD.

Wow thanks for the info guys! I'm still in analysis paralysis mode of the decision making process.

I do believe that many P&S cameras including the G and S series cameras have in camera optical correction via firmware. If you output the RAW files then the correction has to be done in Photoshop etc. A dSLR cannot so easily employ a software optical correction because of the many lenses even from different manufactures that may be used.

F stop = focal length / diameter

F stop is a physical calculation:

Example, a lens 50mm in clear aperture diameter divided by it's focal length, we will use 400mm, will have a maximum f stop of f8.0.

Example, a lens 50mm in clear aperture diameter divided by it's focal length, we use 100mm this time, will have a maximum f stop of f2.0.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom