Lens advice....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I need a lens for topside telephoto work that's cheap!!! It's for stuff like school sports days and occasional visits to safari parks etc....not real arty stuff....just want the shot.

With a quick look I find that I can get a Sigma Apo 70-300mm really cheap...around $180 (a third of the original MRRP). Still...I thought I'd check here first.

If you needed a lens like this for a cheap price (say under $400), are there better choices? If so why?

Canon lens are SO expensive! :D

Kim,
I can't really say which lens would be better, I am just a recreational photographer.
A few months ago I purchased this Sigma 70-300 for $140 bucks. This lens will also take macro shots. I too, just wanted the shot. I am shooting with a Nikon but I see what appears to be the same lens for the Canon for $219.
I have been very happy with it.

Here are a couple of shots that I took with it.
DSC_5995Jump.jpg

DSC_7563Small.jpg

hi kim...some shots with my sigma 70-300 apo dg macro.

Flickr: jaguirre14's photos tagged with sigma70300apodgmacro

not really familiar with canon lenses but i'd assume L lenses of this tele range costs a lot. love this lens i also shoot a lot of portraits with this. very good value if you ask me.

For its zoom range and price, it's a pretty decent lens. I ended up selling it when I got a higher end 70-200 Canon lens. Here are some shots I took with the Sigma 70-300 APO last year with a Canon 400D/Xti. Cropped and photoshopped but still, you get an idea of what you can get out of that lens.

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Nice wakeboarding shot charris!

Wow, you guys are good. Nice photos. I especially like this one:
IMG_3982.jpg

Thanks for the replies - it doesn't seem too shabby does it?

So far it's either this lens for 20,000 yen, or the Canon EF70-300 IS USM for 61,000 yen. The Canon also gets good reviews and lots of people seem to rave about the Image Stabilization.

Thanks for the replies - it doesn't seem too shabby does it?

So far it's either this lens for 20,000 yen, or the Canon EF70-300 IS USM for 61,000 yen. The Canon also gets good reviews and lots of people seem to rave about the Image Stabilization.

IS is certainly welcome. it's just that your wallet will be crying so hard. :D

in my case it very seldom goes into action. but i'd rather have the range just in case i need it. i just can't justify the cost of a 70-300 vr.
I know what you mean but actually I probably can. Yesterday was Emma's 1st sports day at Elementary school. My Sigma 17-70mm just couldn't get close enough. May is two years behind her so I'm looking at a lot of sports days and other comparable events in the future! :D Parents tend to spend a lot of time in the audience! :D

On top of that I see other stuff here all the time that I'd love to photograph but can't - white herons on the rice fields....small blue kingfishers over the river - actually, often really neat stuff that you simply can't get close to. So in a way the case is already made for a 70-300mm lens, it's just a question of which one.

Yesterday - after the sports day when I realized I needed it - I was pretty blown away by the price of the Sigma relative to the reviews it was getting. The pictures in this thread already prove that IMO.
Today - with a bit more digging I read a thread on DPReview about the Canon - not the DO lens - the ordinary one. People were VERY pleased with it. In the thread was a link to a full blown review which reckoned that the Canon was one of their very best deals. The glass used, and latest IS technology making it virtually an L lens (reason why it isn't just the plastic housing and fact that the front element rotates)

Now I'm screwed. As it stands, if I buy the Sigma I'll probably always regret I didn't get the Canon.......so unless I hear/see other things that might alter my thinking it's gonna be the Canon, although I'll have to save a little for it!

It was THIS review that screwed me!:D

Consider that the shots of the moon shown here were taken with NO tripod. That IS is really awesome - supposedly 3 speed stops better than what you are actually shooting in terms of anti-shake effect, plus a mode for fast panning for sports shots.
It's not bad at macro either, although unlike the Sigma it isn't actually sold as a macro lens.

Back
Top Bottom