Length of back up reg hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've switched to a long hose 5ft. (I just do OW with no overheads) but am experiencing some problems when practicing deploying the primary for a buddy. The hose keeps snagging on the bungee'd backup around my neck. In passing, a DIR oriented friend noted that my backup hose was a little too long and my B/U reg. could sit a little higher.
How long should the B/U reg. hose be and where should the reg. sit, on your chest or on your neck under your chin?
Thanks in advance,
Dale.

Under your chin. Optimum hose length should be 24" for doubles and 22" for singles.

Could also be the way you deploy the hose. Remember to "duck" your head at the same time and the hose will slide off with nary a problem........

Also, if your backup reg "could sit a little higher" then you may want to look at how long you have the bungee loop that holds your backup reg. It sounds like it may be too long.

Apologies for the bump, but as I was taught, the correct length of bungie is one where it is comfortable when it's in your mouth, but no longer than it needs to be to accomplish that

This might result in a secondary that 'could sit a little bit higher' but would still be correct - not to say that the OP might still not have too long a bungie though

Good point - although I gather the OP dives single tank (judging by the 5' hose), and he could have one of those tricky left-feed second stages

But yes - with the head turned away from the hose :)

Good point - although I gather the OP dives single tank (judging by the 5' hose), and he could have one of those tricky left-feed second stages
I hate to have to point this out, but left feed second stages are not DIR.

I realise this is the DIR forum, but Ben made a good point about the bungie needing to be comfortable with your head turned away from the hose - I thought it worth making it clear why he said 'left' rather than 'right'

IMHO people should be encouraged to understand the 'why' of DIR, not just the 'what'

Non-DIR people read this forum too (like me for example)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom