Lembeh unless....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first pic is of my very first view ever of Bangka...also the closest to the shore the boat was able to get so it was always a walk through the water to the shore with the boatman carrying your bag above his head...now I hear there's a pier.

Sauhong at that stage was my holy grail - that view of Bangka then will always be how I see Bangka in my mind.

There's a pier at the new Batianos, I'm not aware of a pier at your photo site. Did they put one in too?

Sahaung Sahaung sigh

Just to throw another option in the ring: Ambon.

Would Ambon/Bangka make sense since Ambon could be comparable to Lembeh (so I’ve read)?

It’s easy to get to from both Sorong and Jakarta so I could bookend the liveaboard with either area.
Is February better for one or the other?
Do I need to worry about a full moon creating havoc? It falls on Feb 9, a few days into my trip.

I have done Ambon once and Lembeh twice in February. The weather on all three trips was great, virtually no rain during the day, but it is still theoretically the rainy season in Lembeh. I stayed in Black Sand in Lembeh and Dive into Ambon in Ambon.

I loved both trips , met great people and had some awesome spots , including the little dude in my photo.

They are very different destinations.

In Ambon with DIA , for example you do reef diving one day and muck another day. I far preferred the muck diving , especially under the pier which was amazing.Some of the reef dives were at very best average, but that was where we say the psychadelic. You do three dives a day , so are out all day. I loved this arrangement. The resort was really nice with a big pool, but near a busy road and the food wasn’t anything to write home about. The owner of the dive shop , Kaj, was always around checking that everything was going smoothly. He was incredibly nice and funny and couldn’t do more for us all. The resort was almost full in February, it’s family style dining which I always enjoy.

I preferred the diving in Lembeh , it is all muck diving and on both trips I had amazing luck with spots. Bruce and his wife Fung are the most charming , kind and interesting people you could imagine. Their resort is a gem , the food is wonderful, probably the best dive resort food ever , the cottages big and beautiful facing the bay. In February it is often very very quiet in Lembeh and for some time on both trips I was the only guest.

How far from Tobelo are you Indah?

Ambon could be an good alternative too - my first dive rolled in right above a trio of welcoming Rhinopias. DIA gets good wraps.

I loved both trips , met great people and had some awesome spots , including the little dude in my photo.

They are very different destinations.
Good to know. I thought about Black Sands for my last trip but went to Alor instead. For ease, maybe I’ll pair Lembeh and Bangka and save Ambon for another time...
Any experience on Bangka?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom