Lembeh Strait in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Utsubo

Reaction score
Hi! First post for me. I am thinking about going to Lembeh in January. All of the resorts say that it rains a bit more but still very dive-able. True or Hype? Thoughts please! Also some advice on resorts and operators would be great.

Of course they (we all) lie. Probably it is also not true that this place is great for critters or even you cannot dive at all here ;-). Sorry for the stupid joke but still I would like to correct some common mistakes about Lembeh. April until September is not the best period. A lot of our guests prefer other months. The water in Lembeh is not much colder than Bunaken. This is only true in July and August. The viz is not the best in August, actually often it is worse then. And one more time again: you can find much more than critter hunting on the famous black sand here. Some nice coral gardens and excellent shipwrecks for example. January has some disadvantances also:
sometimes a irritating swell at Hairball, Nudi Retreat and Kuda Laut and indeed more rain than in August. Big advantage: possible to dive the oceanside of Lembeh Island.

Rob,

Got it! Just wanted to make sure that I'm likely to be diving the whole time. What is oceanside of Lembeh like?

The oceanside you can compare with Bangka Island. No real coral reefs but rocks and small walls nicely grown over with soft and hard coralls. Schools of fish of average sizes. Often extreme good viz! Nice change after some days of critter hunting.
Enjoy your stay, Rob

Utsubo:
Hi! First post for me. I am thinking about going to Lembeh in January. All of the resorts say that it rains a bit more but still very dive-able. True or Hype? Thoughts please! Also some advice on resorts and operators would be great.

I've been to Manado twice in January.
When it rains it usually doesn't last long and doesn't get in the way of the diving.
Being "off" season it should be quieter and maybe cheaper.

Bruciebabe:
I've been to Manado twice in January.
When it rains it usually doesn't last long and doesn't get in the way of the diving.
Being "off" season it should be quieter and maybe cheaper.
Exactly what I want to hear:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom