Lembeh: Kasawari v. KBR for single diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taxgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All!
I am planning 4 days diving (unfortunately all I can afford off of work) at Lembeh Straits on the way home from a LOB trip, and am trying to decide between Kasawari and KBR. They are both great, and I know I'll have a fantastic time at either one, but I was wondering about one thing.

Since I'm travelling alone, I'm wondering which one I am more likely to be able to have people to eat dinner with, maybe share a drink with, just which one is more friendly and sociable atmosphere instead of people doing their private thing? Not looking for Club Med, but I hate eating alone!

Seems like KBR because it is larger (35 divers v. 20), but I've never been there, you tell me?

Thanks in advance!
Taxgeek/Susan

The five days we spent at KBR, it seemed as though most of the time, people who had come together stayed together. But that may also have been heavily influenced by the fact that we were a group of twenty, so there weren't many other people there. My husband and I did go off and sit a couple of times with people who were not from our group, but that we had met on the boats, but I didn't see that happen a lot.

Hmmm. Ok, anybody else?

It might be even worse at a small resort where it could be me plus a group and that's it, no? Maybe I should bring A LOT of books to read!

Although truth be told, I'll be coming off a 2 week LOB, so I may be wanting some solitude! :)

Thanks TS&M.
Susan

Kasawari was my point of embarkation for the Odyssea Liveaboard (http://www.odysseadivers.com/ver2/media_video.php) last month December: Nice & new looking grounds/facilities/accommodations. I think Kasawari would be a lot more intimate & cozy than staying at KBR.

I would guess it would depend as much on what number and groups of people are there at the time, what the social dynamic would actually be. With regard to the topography of the resorts, at the Kasawari I observed the dining room is set up primarily in tables of 4 and 2. On the one hand this might push each couple or room to stay at their own table; on the other hand, there was only room for 5-6 tables, so if the resort is busy, everyone will necessarily be sharing tables of 4 with other rooms or couples. The dining and diving schedule are fixed such that almost everyone will be eating at around the same time. I've found divers to be social the world over, we'll often dine with divers from our boats, and have great conversations even with people who don't speak our same language. Such was the case in Manado, where there were only two other couples, British and Spanish, and we all lunched together after the dives even though the dining area had tables for 40 people.

There is also only one TV/lounge/bar in the resort, adjacent to the dining room, and also this and all the villas face into one common courtyard. So you'll definitely be in close quarters with the other guests, either in those areas or in the dive center. It's a fairly cozy layout.

I am leaving for Raja Ampat and the Kasawari Lodge. I will be there middle of Feb. When are you going?
Everything I have heard is that Kasawari is a better set up than KBR, but as I haven't been there yet, I can't say for sure. I will post info after my trip.

Hi All, Thanks for the responses! I will be going in mid may, after my Banda/Raja Ampat cruise on the Ondina.

I'm so excited I can hardly sit still!

I've heard the same thing, Allison, especially for photographers.

Kasawari is more intimate and it should be very easy for you to mingle and meet people. You can get all the private time you desire in your cottage. I would not hesitate to visit Kasawari again.

Sandra

I don't think you have to worry too much. Presumably, you will be on dive boats and chat with at least some of the other guests, so you will be able to just scan the room and ask "care if I join you?" with most anybody who doesn't appear to be honeymooning. It might also help to appear at any early "happy hour" time to meet other people who might be nice dinner companions (even if you just have water). Finally, wear your souvenir t-shirts from whatever other dive places you've been to as a conversation starter....my Wakatobi shirt had this effect just a couple of weeks ago in Hawaii. We divers do love to trade stories, don't we?

Thanks Quero, and good suggestion about the dive shirts. :) Easy way to start a conversation.

Back
Top Bottom