Lembeh area and malaria-profylaxis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malaria is not a concern in North Sulawesi. Just make sure you have repellent on and you should be fine.

I agree with the "shooter". I was there last August, I used deet spray and had no problems. There were some mosquitos, but five days on Lembeh island and I'm glad to say I recieved no bites. The diving is extra speciial, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

When I was in Lembeh, people there advises that there was a little bit of malaria there (I think about 20 cases a year in Bitung the main town in the area). Not sure if it only applies during the rainy season though.

dedhed:
I agree with the "shooter". I was there last August, I used deet spray and had no problems. There were some mosquitos, but five days on Lembeh island and I'm glad to say I recieved no bites. The diving is extra speciial, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Who did you dive with? I'll only be there 3 days, any sites you'd recommend or not recommend? I am going for the muck diving. Have you ever been to KAPALAI? in Borneo? If so how does it compare?

A variety of options. You can hit it by liveaboard from Manado(depends on the boat but an alternative to landbased resorts), use the 2 big resorts KBR(the first one there, more eco-nature in design, new management) and Lembeh(new and modern, on the leeward side of Lembeh Island) and which sit on Lembeh, ride a 2 hr boat ride from Manado/Bangka for a day trip or use the former employee of KBR in Bitung and stay at the local hotel there (cheapest option).
The housereef of Lembeh Resort is very nice. Jahir and Retak Larry are my favorites as are Hairball and Angel's Window.

toms:
Who did you dive with? I'll only be there 3 days, any sites you'd recommend or not recommend? I am going for the muck diving. Have you ever been to KAPALAI? in Borneo? If so how does it compare?

I've only gone muck diving in Lembeh. While I was there I dived with Sulawesi Dive Quest. It is a lot more basic than the options "shooter" mentioned. The beach front cottages are new, clean and comfortable and the rates are MUCH cheaper than the others. I was all alone at the resort during my stay and I paid $20 per night and $30 per dive. The food was restaurant quality served in the open air dining pavilion on the beach. It is directly across from KBR and less than half the price, all I could do was giggle. My guide Johan brought me to a pygmy seahorse within two minutes of submerging on my first dive. Come with a list of critters you want to see and SDQ will pick the sites to fit your requests. They found everything I wanted except a mandarin fish. My list was long so I couldn't complain. If you stay with SDQ tell Nan and Johan that Stephen from New york says hello (Johan doesn't speak english very well, so Nan will probably have to translate) Have fun!

toms:

Dont' miss Nudi falls, Hairball and Police Pier in my opinion. The Japanese wreck is nice is nice as well.

Kapalai is very nice as well; excellent critter diving, bu I saw saw slightly less than in Lembeh - but I guess it is a matter of luck and knowledge of the dive guide; the advantage of Kapalai is that you can also dive Sipadan...

frogfish:
Dont' miss Nudi falls, Hairball and Police Pier in my opinion. The Japanese wreck is nice is nice as well.

Kapalai is very nice as well; excellent critter diving, bu I saw saw slightly less than in Lembeh - but I guess it is a matter of luck and knowledge of the dive guide; the advantage of Kapalai is that you can also dive Sipadan...

I didn't find diving Sipadan that much of an advantage, it was too small for all the diviers, not many dive sites, 2 days of 3 dives and I was out of there. We saw more stuff in Mabul and Kapalai, including the blue ring octopus and mandarin fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom