Leisure Pro vs. Other Internet Retailers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fairfax22032

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can someone explain how/why there are such strong feelings on SB about Leisure Pro and what seems to make them different from other internet retailers? As a new diver trying to research equipment and comparing sourcing options LP appears to dominate search results, but I get the sense that they are a pariah in the industry.

The simplest answer to your first question is they are an on-line reseller and as with a few other topics (BPW vs BCD, split fins, spare air, etc) the topic of on-line vs brick and mortar shop is a hot button in the community.

Why they are the lightning rod, that I don't realy know. It might be because they are big and are a hybrid (on-line and retail) but that is also the case for Diver's Direct which doesn't seem to have the passion of feelings that LP does. Why they dominate search results that is either A. They pay the search engines so they get prime resiults or B. They have a good web team that knows how to code their pages to get the maximum relevant hits on the search engines.

Can someone explain how/why there are such strong feelings on SB about Leisure Pro and what seems to make them different from other internet retailers? As a new diver trying to research equipment and comparing sourcing options LP appears to dominate search results, but I get the sense that they are a pariah in the industry.

LeisurePro is gray market - which means they are not authorized purchasers or sellers of most brands of gear. They get their gear from stores going out of business in liquidation sales or from overseas markets where there is no regulation. Many things on LeisurePro it really doesn't matter, like a drybox or booties, etc. But when you get into BCs, Computers, Gauges, and Regs it does matter as they have no warrantee if not bought from an authorized dealer. Most dealers will not service gear bought from LeisurePro for that reason.

I have bought some things like accessories and wetsuits from them with no problem. I would think hard about buying "life support" equipment as you never know what you will get or how long it has sat on a shelf before LP purchased it. It could be several years old and need immediate servicing or worse. Just my opinion.

I know a person who wanted to buy a Suunto dive computer from LeisurePro as it was $300 cheaper than our LDS. He got one, but it was in bar not Psi and no manual. He brought it into the LDS it get it "fixed" and get a manual, they told him no way. I don't know if he sent it back to LP and got a new one or not. He wasn't happy.

:D

I believe the main difference with LP is that they are a "grey market" retailor. This basically voids the manufacturer warranty, but LP provides their own warranty to counter that issue. Be aware the Scuba Toys will give you a 10% discount if you call and let them know you are a SB member (at least they used to).

Then there is the OTHER debate of online vs LDS...but that is a whole different thread.

Why don't you buy something from them? Can be a small item. Let us know your experience.

Sounds like you've read the zillion threads about them already. So you already know why people love/hate them.

I know a person who wanted to buy a Suunto dive computer from LeisurePro as it was $300 cheaper than our LDS. He got one, but it was in bar not Psi and no manual. He brought it into the LDS it get it "fixed" and get a manual, they told him no way. I don't know if he sent it back to LP and got a new one or not. He wasn't happy.

I know a person who responded to one of those "Microsoft will send you money if you respond" hoax emails and he got sent a lot of cash. He must know your person.

Why don't you buy something from them? Can be a small item. Let us know your experience.

Sounds like you've read the zillion threads about them already. So you already know why people love/hate them.

While I have tried to read a lot of posts about LP, I really could not get a feel for the strong love/hate which is why I asked the question. For what it's worth I have made a couple of purchases from LP for mask/fins/snorkel, but I feel that these are essentially commodity items which (generally) don't require warranty service or post-sale support. My experience with them was fine and would not hesitate using them again.

What I am sensitive to is the general issue of online vs. LDS and I am predisposed to buy things like a reg or BC from an LDS specifically due to post-sale support. Nothing made me angrier when I sold ski equipment was to spend several hours helping someone find the right pair of boots only to have them buy online and then come back to me asking me to custom fit them at no additional charge.

The intent of my question was not to be a troll and get people spun up. The grey market answer seems to make a lot of sense and I have experienced the negatives with this with a recent digital camera purchase (stay away from Broadway Camera - I ignored the feedback at my own peril to save a few $$$). It just seemed that LP engendered stronger feelings than other retailers and I was just trying to understand why.

LeisurePro is gray market - which means they are not authorized purchasers or sellers of most brands of gear. They get their gear from stores going out of business in liquidation sales or from overseas markets where there is no regulation. Many things on LeisurePro it really doesn't matter, like a drybox or booties, etc. But when you get into BCs, Computers, Gauges, and Regs it does matter as they have no warrantee if not bought from an authorized dealer. Most dealers will not service gear bought from LeisurePro for that reason.

My understanding is that they are authorised retailers of many brands. I'v never had any problems getting gear from LP serviced.

I have bought some things like accessories and wetsuits from them with no problem. I would think hard about buying "life support" equipment as you never know what you will get or how long it has sat on a shelf before LP purchased it. It could be several years old and need immediate servicing or worse. Just my opinion.

Ah, "life support", the catch phrase of every scare monger on the web.

Suunto computers don't come in bar or psi, they come as a unit that can be set for either metric or imperial by the user. The manuals are a download from their web site that anyone can access.

A dive shop is a private entity & can run any policy they like, that's their prerogative & I'm fine with that. If I went into a dive shop however & they wouldn't help because I didn't buy through them, they wouldn't see another cent of my money. That's my prerogative & I'm fine with that too.

As this is the new diver forum I won't tell you how full of it I think you are.

It just seemed that LP engendered stronger feelings than other retailers and I was just trying to understand why.

Any time that you mention LP on SB - it's assumed to be a troll. Why do they engender such visceral responses? Easy: LDS fearmongering and anti-semitism.

I'm scratching my head reading some of the replies but Kern has it right so far and I'm not going to reiterate everything that was said except for one - LP is an authorized dealer for some if not most, of what they sell.

If you go to any local LDS you will most likely find a notice of some sort regarding why it is BAD to deal with anyone online and why it is GOOD to deal with your local LDS. It's kind of an oxymoron really because I know many LDS' that also do business and sell stuff online. The big difference with LP and the local brick-and-mortar shops (and some well-known online shops) is that the items that they do sell at greater discounts is the stuff that they are not an authorized dealer for. Someone up top mentioned where they get these items and for the most part it's true. But, even if the manufacturer's warranty is voided in this case LP has its own in-house warranty which tries to match that of the manufacturer. Now, can you live with that? Many can't that's why they shy away while to others, it makes no difference.

Back
Top Bottom