Legitmacy of Advising Frequent Recompression Chamber Therapy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A "hyperbaric doctor" on one of FB pages related to diving (in Middle East) advises people:
"it is advised all hunters that they take two sessions of oxygen in the pressure chamber every two months when they get rid of the nitrogen stored in the body because of repeated diving, even if not complained of any symptoms of DCS" (Google translation)

He also says: "The Alexandria Alex Center in Alexandria offers a special discount for divers residual Nitrogen cleansing sessions and diving events."

Alaa Sheta

I see these claims occasionally in various forums in the Middle East where they advise of getting "oxygen therapy" sessions in a chamber every few months to cleanse the system from any residual nitrogen.

I'd like to know if these claims have any validity to them as related to "cleansing residual nitrogen" from the diver's system even when more than 24 hours have passed since the last dive and no signs of DCS emerged after diving.

HBOT has many uses. Everything from wound care to treatment of traumatic brain injuries benefits from hyperbaric oxygen therapy. The idea of doing some "cleanse" of nitrogen seems pretty much like snake oil to me though....

Sure, you could completely purge the body of N2, but as soon as you stepped out of the chamber you'd start on-gassing again.

HBOT has many uses. Everything from wound care to treatment of traumatic brain injuries benefits from hyperbaric oxygen therapy. The idea of doing some "cleanse" of nitrogen seems pretty much like snake oil to me though....

Sure, you could completely purge the body of N2, but as soon as you stepped out of the chamber you'd start on-gassing again.

I know about the general benefits of HBOT but in this context it has to do with "residual nitrogen cleansing" after diving even when no DCS is involved and a long time has passed since the last dive took place.

@BurhanMuntasser seems like that doctor trying to sell chamber time more than anything

Sounds like one of the harmless way to fill a chamber, unscrupulously.

That said, I've bought into that theory myself and do shallow oxygen rebreather dives on my off gassing days after multiple deep dives. Simply as an excuse to keep driving, I've not recommended it to others. (obviously risk being oxtox)

Cameron

I guess the good doctor could put the chamber on wheels and have a traveling medicine show.

Bob

Just breathing oxygen without the chamber will achieve the goal of removing excess nitrogen--astronauts do that before every launch. Of course, for you and me it has no value unless it is closely associated with actual dives.

A "hyperbaric doctor" on one of FB pages related to diving (in Middle East) advises people:
"it is advised all hunters that they take two sessions of oxygen in the pressure chamber every two months when they get rid of the nitrogen stored in the body because of repeated diving, even if not complained of any symptoms of DCS" (Google translation)

He also says: "The Alexandria Alex Center in Alexandria offers a special discount for divers residual Nitrogen cleansing sessions and diving events."

Alaa Sheta

I see these claims occasionally in various forums in the Middle East where they advise of getting "oxygen therapy" sessions in a chamber every few months to cleanse the system from any residual nitrogen.

I'd like to know if these claims have any validity to them as related to "cleansing residual nitrogen" from the diver's system even when more than 24 hours have passed since the last dive and no signs of DCS emerged after diving.

There's no evidence for this, nor can I think of a physiological justification for it.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom