Legal responsibility to your dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure, but I think Epinephrine is also administered for jellyfish stings.

In that case that epipen might have come in handy.

I don't know the answer to the OP's question but perhaps go and ask a first aid instructor local to you? They tend to have the knowledge in that area.

Personally I have never bothered to worry about my legal liability to my buddy. If something happens I will do my best. And if that gets me sued, whatever, I'd prefer that than not intervening. Also I've told my partner not to sue anyone if I die diving because it will most likely be my own fault.

I don't know if I should ask an EMT or an attorney?

Maybe in Australia it's different. Here in the US law suits and litigation is a huge mainstream industry worth billions of dollars just like Starbucks and Jack in the Box. An entire way of life has been created by these parasites. Even if someone sues you, or attempts to and they lose, it's still going to cost you a lot of money and turn your life upside down.
In many ways it's a lose lose exept for the lawyers who get paid no matter what.

But then as the old saying goes: Lawyers totally suck!... until you need one.

I better bite my tongue now, I have lawyer friends on this board.

I don't know if I should ask an EMT or an attorney?

Ask both.

Maybe in Australia it's different.

It was heading that way but there has been various tort reforms I believe. But I believe now people are complaining that they don't have enough recourse to sue.

Here in the US law suits and litigation is a huge mainstream industry worth billions of dollars just like Starbucks and Jack in the Box. An entire way of life has been created by these parasites. Even if someone sues you, or attempts to and they lose, it's still going to cost you a lot of money and turn your life upside down.
In many ways it's a lose lose exept for the lawyers who get paid no matter what.

Yes, most people are well aware of this. But you can get third party liability insurance if you are worried. I have it for diving. However, I would not do anything differently in a rescue regardless of my liability insurance status.

Elmer and Bob -- the Washington Law referenced by Elmer has no application to Scuba diving. It relates to people who witness criminal assaults and requires action to notify authorities as long as that doesn't put the person in danger.

It is NOT a duty to rescue law.

Speaking only for myself, I have never been sued, I've never sued anyone, I don't know anybody who has sued or been sued. I think the whole "litigious society" thing is WAY overblown, mostly due to the media's penchant for sensationalism.

I think Saspotato hit the nail on the head when she said:

"If something happens I will do my best. And if that gets me sued, whatever, I'd prefer that than not intervening."

I think this thread should be moved to a different forum. It is the best argument supporting Solo diving thus far.

I disagree. Anyone who thinks you need an argument for solo diving has missed the whole point of solo diving.

There's only one reason to dive solo ... because you WANT to. Using something else ... like liability concerns or the ever-popular instabuddy argument ... to rationalize the decision suggests that maybe you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Typically none. Unless you commit an intentional tort (like intentially pulling out their regulator). There could be a negligence issue (if you breached a duty to your dive budy) but it would almost have to be gross negligence, like driving the boat off without him/her.

Back
Top Bottom