Legal Action Against Us Distributors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomaster:
I'm from the US, I live in Korea. If I buy equipment here, it won't be worn out when I get back to the states. If I buy it in the states, it's not covered here, if I buy it here it's not covered in the states.
The trolling threads I've fished through have spent some energy talking about the cost of repair and maintenace on equipment not bought at a LDS, when moving from country to country it goes well beyond the concern of an LDS, it's about the warranty that's often used as part of an excuse for the high price of equipment; a warranty, a marketing ploy, that we're never really supposed to use.
But certainly pay for.
I don't usually haul refrigetrators around in my carry-on, not my British Ford either. But wherever I go for diving, I would like to have my own equipment and know that I wasn't get "surprised" every time I cross a border.
That's the part of Silverback's post that struck me as an important question.

Tom

I mean really?

I've been diving my Atomic regs for over 6 years now. Hundreds of dives... I never needed a "warranty repair" and with regular service, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Same with my BC, Vytec and basically everything I own. Is all this fear of no warranty service really a legidimate fear, or just a beef because its something you globe-trotting divers just can't have?

I'm not trying to be provocative here, I'm just asking. I mean, in all the time and with two sets of gear (me and wifie) we've never needed a warranty repair for any of this stuff. Are we the lucky ones, or is this really (I mean REALLY) an issue that keeps you guys up nights?

K

Actually the only gear i have ever used my warranty on is my halcyon gear. One was a pioneer wing and the other is my helios 4.5 for a faulty latch that is sitting in their hands as i type :crying2: The only other warranty issues are yearly service on my regs which isnt really a warranty issue but is in order to get the free parts kits. :ne_nau:

lal7176:
Actually the only gear i have ever used my warranty on is my halcyon gear. One was a pioneer wing and the other is my helios 4.5 for a faulty latch that is sitting in their hands as i type :crying2: The only other warranty issues are yearly service on my regs which isnt really a warranty issue but is in order to get the free parts kits. :ne_nau:

I did get warranty work done on my Halcyon light, and now that I think about it, my DUI suit.

Hmmm.... I hate it when you get me thinking like this.

K

The same thing happened to me. I had a partial flood in my Terkel can light. Had to send it back for repairs - Terkel was phenomenal. Took care of everything. He totally rocks!

I had leaking problem with my zipper in my Bare drysuit. Sent it back in the summer. They had it for a month. Fixed a bunch of things except the original problem. Had to send it back again for another month. Finally got it back. Bare doesn't rock.

Used warrenties many times. Replaced a new defective regulator. Dive computer on/off button malfunction after 10 months. BCD replaced..... warrenty issue is a legitimate concern.

While I disagree the manufacturers do not make the spare parts available to the public, I respect their right to protect their brand image set restriction on pricing, and their right to select and qualify authorize distributors.

lal7176:
So bottom line dont buy a cannister light or a drysuit through a black market dealer with no warranty :D

Or, I think it is actually better never to *need* a warranty....

So, I'd put it something like "Don't buy an item that is poorly designed, whether it has a warranty or not, gray market or not."

Same with a manuf. having a history of defects....Regardless of whether I buy from gray market or not, I don't want to have to use a fallback position. If a company has lots of warranty repairs, they are doing something wrong.

Mo2vation:
I did get warranty work done on my Halcyon light, and now that I think about it, my DUI suit.

Hmmm.... I hate it when you get me thinking like this.

K

I honestly don't think the huff is about warranties themselves - its having to folk over an ungodly sum for the yearly parts kits and the restriction of service manuals.

netmage:
I honestly don't think the huff is about warranties themselves - its having to folk over an ungodly sum for the yearly parts kits and the restriction of service manuals.
The warranty and competative pricing issues are cojoined, at least in the US. What these warranties require in many cases to remain valid is service at specific intervals and by specific entities (usually an "authorized reseller") and, of course, using only specific proprietary parts. These requirements are already illegal today in the US but won't stop until enough of us complain. The manufacturers and their distributors are also guilty of price fixing, due to the sales agreements they excecute between themselves and the LDS's. Try starting with your state's attorney general and also send a formal complaint to the FTC. While it's doubtful any of us could afford a private party lawsuit, perhaps some starving attorney would consider a class action on a contingency basis. I wouldn't want to turn any of this into a rant but before anyone wants to issue the LDS's a free pass on this one, just remember that they sign these agreements of their own free will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom