LED light question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haisu once bubbled...
- A further benefit is the color temperature, which is with
maximally 10000 Kelvin. This is an increase of 30% opposite the
HID light.

That just means it's more blue. A 10,000K color temperature is decidedly blue. As a note, 10,000K bulbs are used in saltwater reef aquariums to mimic the blueness of the ocean at depth, and the bulbs are quite blue in color. It has nothing to do with light output at all. HID lights are about as white as it gets when it comes to color temperature.. higher is not by any means an improvement.

I'm very interested in seeing this HLD stuff though. Very.

As i bought myself a Gilan Traveller recently i asked the guys at Gilan about the led-lights.

their answer was quite clear:

"after testing the newest 5W Luxion( EG Geenforce is using only the 3W version) led we concluded:

- not by far bright enough to be considderd as a mainlight
- a consumption of 0,8A/8V per led, so gains in burntime is close to zero
- colortemperature far to high, everything looks like (the same) ****
- penetration abbility very low.

All together: Led light as they are available now are nice to people how want the be first with something new. However as divinglight they are no competition to halogen or HID.

We stopped or R&D in these light and will wait untill more sophisticated leds come available.
We are manufacturer of divinglight, and although we are asked about LEd-light quite often, we considder it more a gadget, but not good enough to please our costumers in using them. They can look nice on the surface, but once below the dissapointment is there"

Quite a statement, but reading all the above it looks they are right.

kobus once bubbled...
All together: Led light as they are available now are nice to people how want the be first with something new. However as divinglight they are no competition to halogen or HID.

Hey now, watch it. They kick ass... just not underwater :wink:

Regarding LED lights, I think much of what has been said here is right on the money.

I bought a Tektite 300 (with 7 leds) a few months ago. Overall, it's probably best suited as a backup light, which is what mine has been relegated to. It's got a bluish hue to the light and it scatters quite a bit. I have subsequently purchased a Princeton Tek Shockwave II halogen. Man, night and day difference.

I've had bad luck so far with my Tektite. After a few dives (deepest being about 80 feet) I noticed the light was flooding. Not good. I contacted the manufacturer in the US, and they told me to send it back (and to include $5 US - you would think that if they stood by their products that they would not be nickel and diming their customers on a brand new purchase). It came back to me with no explanation as to what was done to repair it or if it was replaced. And to top it off, they did not mark it as a warranty repair so I ended up paying sales tax on it twice. :upset:

And it still remains to be seen whether it still leaks or not.

Hi

I'm looking for a solid performing day light.

UK SL4 and SL6 have been suggested as have the Ikelite PCs. The Ikelite PCs don't seem to have a real long battery life and, as a result, I'm leaning against an Ikelite choice.

But now the most recent edition of ScubaDiving has reviews on Tektite LEDs. Are LEDs a good alt to the UK SLs? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Joe
When i desire a great deal of gentle, My spouse and i bring my Mild Canon, but it possesses overloaded a couple of instances. BRITISH ISLES possesses fixed the idea totally free (except the price of transport the idea in order to them), nevertheless Now i am glad I had extra equipment and lighting within my exterior case... not only extra electric batteries.

I have a Sola (LED) 1200 and a Halcyon 21W (HID) and two Halcyon scout backups (LED)

both are good lights, although the Halcyon is my primary diving light, and the Sola has been delegated to my video camera.

Halcyon 21W
- much brighter
- much whiter (7000K color temp)
- tighter beam (greate for signalling)
- 6 hour burn time

Sola
- less than half the price of the Halcyon
- bright enough for most night diving
- beam has two settings, wide and narrow. Wide is completely unsuitable for signaling, the narrow is maybe a bit wide, but works
- 70 minute burn time (at max output)

Scout
- less than half the price of a Sola
- narrow beam suitable for signalling (which is mostly what I need if my primary gives out)
- long battery life, which probably the most important thing

My biggest problem with the Sola is that I can only do one dive before having to recharge it. But for someone buying a primary light for night rec dives on vacation, where they only do one per night, I think it is a great light. The Sola has a switch, but I wouldn't worry about that being a failure point. Canister lights have a switch, but yet those seem to be acceptable failure points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom