LED Lenser D14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought this light from Amazon and have not yet used it underwater. Works fine with NiMH batteries. The beam is nearly as bright as the Dorcy. The central spot is a little larger than Dorcy's, then there is penumbra and a large circle of spill light. The spill-light circle is not as large as Dorcy's.

Comes with a nice lanyard without the issues that Dorcy has. The handle is all plastic compared to Dorcy's aluminum. The lanyard that comes with the Dorcy is a joke.

It has one O ring between the plastic handle and the metal head. There is a second ring but it just acts as a seal rather than a true O ring. It's rated to 200 ft. The Dorcy has two O rings.

The switch is a small handle that pivots and can be worked with one hand. The Dorcy is the conventional twist-head mechanism-- a two-hand operation.

The Dorcy looks a little heavier duty for diving, but the battery system on the Lenser being 4 AA cells is better.

I'll give another report after diving with both lights.

Adam

Last edited:
I've now had a chance to dive both lights on an afternoon dive at Shaw's Cove. It's a shallow dive in 10' viz with lots of narrow swim throughs and crevices and small caverns.

Both lights were run off NiMH batteries. The center beam of the Dorcy is much narrower than the Lenser-- about 1/3 the diameter. The narrow beam of the Dorcy is slightly brighter, but the much broader beam of the Lenser more than compensates for that and seems to give more light overall.

I like the beam of the Lenser better than the Dorcy. On top of that the Lenser has much better battery format. So in my view the Lenser beats out the Dorcy.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom