Leaving today for Maui!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're taking off in a few hours for our trip to Maui and can't wait. I had booked us 4 charters, 2 with Ed Robinsons (to Molokini) and 2 with Lahaina Divers (to Lanai) and called both ops yesterday to get a quick update on the diving conditions.

Both ops said that near-shore waters are like Chocolate Milk (I believe Tim posted the same thing the other day here), so they are both sending their boats out to Molokini. Ed Robinsons said that they haven't done any near-shore or Lanai diving in quite a while, but there are some South off-shore sights they are still doing that have decent viz (30' or better), so we might be able to do a couple of those instead of 3 tanks at Molokini. "Worst case" scenario is that we'll do all 3 tanks at Molokini....gee, that would be rough, huh?? eyebrow

Interestlingly enough, the conditions out on the water have been so favorable that Lahaina Divers has even been able to send their afternoon "turtle reef" charters out to Molokini! They just anchor the boat closer to the crater wall so they have shallow conditions for their discover scuba folks, which is cool.

Weird weather, that's for sure. Unfortunately, neither op has been able to go to Lanai for quite a while because of the low viz, so unless the rain stops and the conditions improve quickly, we might be in for 4 charters to Molokini this week. But as my husband put it so well, diving everyday at Molokini could never be considered a hardship. :D :05:

Both ops remarked at how lucky they are on Maui to not have their dive ops affected too much by the freaky weather, unlike the other island where ops are really taking a hit from cancelling charters. Ed Robinsons said they haven't had to cancel any charters, but Lahaina Divers has had to cancel a few afternoon charters, which is totally understandable, but we shouldn't have to worry about any of our morning charters being cancelled. <fingers crossed>

I'm sure they're both getting a lot of phone calls from concerned divers, and I'm guessing both ops have had quite a few cancellations because both were quick to reassure me that they would find excellent diving for us and not to worry. Neither op was in any danger of us cancelling, which I mentioned and I could hear their voices relax on the phone after that.

I'll post a report when we return late next week to give anyone who is going to Maui in the next couple of weeks an idea of what's going on now.

diving off-shore has been great lately - even though the skies are cloudy, the seas have been calm. Shore diving today was ok - vis about 30ft at Polo beach.

Hope you have a great time here!

Aloha, Tim

Aloha! Stop by and say hello if you see my SCUBABUS down at the beach! I hope you have a nice trip. The weather is improving and the water has cleared up a lot already.

Thanks everyone! We got back last night after doing some amazing diving this week. We did make it to Lanai on both of our charters, with Monday being rather silty (viz down to 20' in some areas), but Wednesday it cleared up to around 80'. Monday was the first time that Lahaina Divers got out to Lanai in over 3 weeks, so we were very lucky.

The water was amazingly calm everywhere until the trades begain to pick up on Tuesday. We splashed onto the St. Anthony's wreck in calm seas and when we surfaced for our boat pickup (at 12:40), the seas were rolling bigtime. It was rather a fun ride to put a little extra air in the BC, lean back and ride the waves. :)

All in all, for such a short trip to Maui, we did some amazing diving, saw some amazing creatures, with a couple being very rare...a Redstriped Pipefish and a Fire Dartfish. We're looking forward to being back in December, and will definitely book with Ed Robinsons again for their 3-tank adventure dives. They definitely exceeded expectations with us. :D

wow that went by fast! Glad to hear you had a good time...did you get a pic of the pipefish or the Fire Dartfish?

That really was a fast trip ... don't you know you have to stay for 6 weeks when you come to Maui ... I think it's a rule or something :wink:

justleesa:
wow that went by fast! Glad to hear you had a good time...did you get a pic of the pipefish or the Fire Dartfish?
There have been some Fire Dartfish hanging out inside Molokini Crater for a while now. Shallow end of the sand channel, across from Garbonzo's Lair/Taco Flats. Is that where you saw them DiveMe?

Here's a photo taken a couple of weeks ago:

We saw one on Lanai at 2nd Cathedral. We never dove the inner crater of Molokini on this trip, just the outside edges and the backwall.

Unfortunately I didn't have the camera when we saw the pipefish....my husband had it on the outside of the wreck. I should have gone back and tried to get a picture, but I figured after a couple of folks had gone through St. Anthony's it would be too silted up, so didn't bother to go back.

Tim, I would love to come to Maui for at least 6 weeks at a time. Unfortunately my job won't allow me to do that anytime but summer, and my husband's job won't let him do it at all. :( We normally do a 10 day trip to Maui, which is much better than the 5 nights we managed this time. Oh well, better to have been there for a short time than not at all!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom