Leaving the US for the first time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paddles:
Hi all...

In July, I'm taking my first vacation outside of the US. The kids and I are going to Cancun;we're staying at the Moon Palace. I'm a newbie diver, recently certified in Monterey; the kids are warm water divers and have traveled all over the world with their dad (you should see my T-shirt collection!)

I'm nervous about traveling to another country alone, but since the kids are so experienced, they are giving me a hard time. I assumed we would dive in Cancun but after speaking to a few great DMs I've met, I've been told to hook up with Dive With Martin in Coz.

I am also assuming we should take our own masks, snorkels and fins, but what about the rest? Should we bring our own BCs and Regs or rent them? What about protection? Don't think I need my 7mil!

Being a single mom is nerve racking enough...traveling to a new country for the first time doubles that...oh and for grins and giggles, lets go diving with the kids!

Wanna have a good time...I need the R and R...wanna keep it low key and S L O W...

Any suggestions y'all may have are welcomed!

Paddles

Hi Paddles!

I've just returned from my stay at Moon Palace! We had a wonderful stay, although the resort is a little too secluded for my tastes. You'll never have to leave the resort if you don't want to, but if you do want to leave, it can be a bit of a hassle, expense, and/or both. It was perfect for some much needed R&R and the food was excellent!!!

My boyfriend & I did our OW check-out dives with Dive Puerto Morales and had a really wonderful experience!! Puerto Morales is just about 15-20 minutes south of Moon Palace ($16USD cab ride, one way). Our instructor and divemaster were great ~ very attentive, helpful, thorough ~ and they made sure we saw lots of stuff and enjoyed ourselves (thanks again Cat, Brett, and Carlos!!). We had also had some trouble with how our LDS had handled our referral paperwork, and Cat was extremely helpful. I would certainly dive with them again and recommend them to others.

We also went for a day trip to Cozumel... The diving was great, but getting there (especially from Moon Palace) was more of a hassle than I'd go through again. We first took a cab from Moon Palace to Playa del Carman ($40USD one way), then took the ferry to Cozumel ($18/round trip ticket, per person). And then the same routine in the opposite direction at the end of the day ~ in transportation alone we spent $116... The diving itself was great (saw several turtles, HUGE lobsters, eagle ray, etc.) but I think the guys at Dive Puerto Morales spoiled us and we missed them by the end of the day!! =) I'm glad we did it, because I'd snorkeled there before and really wanted to dive there, also because I love Cozumel and wanted my boyfriend to see it, but it was an exhausting day.

Also, why we took a cab: you can't catch a bus from Moon Palace. You'll have to either get to Cancun proper (north of the resort) or Puerto Morales to catch the bus. You can take a free shuttle from Moon Palace to one of the other Palace resorts in Cancun, then try to take the bus down to Puerto Morales or PDC, but... ugh, that's a hassle too, and the free Palace shuttle only runs 4 times a day (and you have to get on the return shuttle back to the resort 4 hours later so you'd end up taking a cab back anyhow), plus it was full when we rode it (not much room for gear and we brought all our own gear).

Okay, sorry to be so long-winded, but since I just returned, this is all fresh in my mind. Also, don't worry to much about being out of the country - everyone there is so friendly and helpful, and I've always found that if I attempt to speak a few phrases in Spanish, the people there will practically bend over backwards to help you. Post or PM me if you have any other questions that I could answer, and HAVE FUN!!!

The last thing you need is to stress about stuff. Get a good all inclusive place and let them worry for you. I like Scuba Club for the diving, any time, even the front yard :) Just look em up on the net, they have an phone number, call them and set up your own vacation and then stand back and enjoy it.
The diving is excellent and the food is great. Just have a good time with the kids, or let them have a good time and you veg out in a hammock :)

Good luck and I envy you alot :wink:

Cozumel in Nov 04 on my way :)

Hello,

I will be going diving in Cancun this summer as well. I have been to Cozumel before and loved the diving, but I decided to skip Cozumel via Cancun this time after doing some research. Here is a link with one shop's take on it:

http://www.aldora.com/fromcancun.htm

Being from Texas, I will catch Cozumel again when I can stay there.

I plan on using Manta Divers in Cancun:

http://www.mantadivers.com

Cancun dive shop options thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t50066.html

Have fun!!
:dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom