Leave the Drysuit boots on the boat ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I couldn't resist the new price and just bought Bare Nexgen Pro drysuit with underwear and boots.. big boots.. size 12.
Well I know I need to get a pair of Turtles or XXL Jetfins to use the boots, BUT ..
Do I really need to wear those boots when I'm not walking across really sharp rocky shorelines?
Can I just leave them on the boat and wear my Apollo splits with just the drysuit?
Will it tear up the drysuit?

Those big boots seems like overkill. Geez.. I practically don't need fins when I'm wearing them!! (just kidding)

Thanks

PS. Is there a cure for this newbie spending on scuba gear addiction?

Can't answer your question, but as to the PS, the cure for the newbie spending is to keep diving. Eventually, it won't be *newbie* spending anymore. :D

Some people just wear booties under over the soft socks , you probably only need one size bigger than normal.

I would think you would need something to prevent "rub" wear on the drysuit socks. Especially in the areas with seams.

I recently forgot my rockboots after a 3 hour drive to a local quarry. I just rented men's size 10 booties from the quarry and did fine.

The "socks" are usually pretty fragile-compared to boots or booties. Find a pair of regular old booties that fit over the socks. You probably still have a pair laying around.

The answer to your other question is nope. Unless you finally get enough gear to trade some of it away for more gear. :D

Drysuit socks are prone to holes. You may have an occasion to remove the fins. Perhaps climb a ladder or scramble to get something on deck or in the parking lot. You also get your toe smashed in a sock. As much of a drag as it is, sometimes you have to ante up and get new fins.

I did. I have 5 pairs of fins sitting in my office.

terrasmak:
Some people just wear booties under over the soft socks , you probably only need one size bigger than normal.
Thanks for all the feedback.
I tried my size 12 booties over the drysuit and it worked fine. I didn't expect it to, so never tried :icorolley
That gives me about 6mm of neoprene on the feet. If I need to wear wool socks as well, I may need to go up to size 13, which might still fit into my existing fins.
I'll need to get the turtles (or equiv) anyway for the shore dives.

Thanks!

Turtles will solve your issue. :)

(from a fellow nexgen owner)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom