Least Favorite Truk Wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been reading about the Oite (which is all I know about it). Other than being deeper and more damaged than the Fumitzuk, what's the attraction? Both are tin cans (destroyers) and were built about the same time.

I can see that the she might be more interesting than the San Francisco in a similar depth, especially after a week of diving on mostly merchantman. Too bad for us (or just me) that all the heavy armor and carriers left Truk before Operation Hailstone.

the trip I did 18 months ago did the Oite was dived by a few of the guys on air... obviously a far shorter dive but they preferred it to the San Fran for the fact that it was so untouched.... either that or because most of the group didn't go so they could brag.

we were actually warded off the sub as you can't really penetrate and it's just a long steel tube with not much to it, which I was okay with... but each to their own.

edit: blue lagoon were useless with their calculation on the gasses. I'm sure I didn't pay enough by a long stretch but they were so confused as to what I'd used in the end they just charged me $200 odd extra from memory. I tried to work it out but they just weren't interested in charging me more.

The Oite is rarely dived. It is loaded with artifacts and human remains. Excellent wreck. I did it on air with a 35 minute bottom time. Used nitrox and 100% o2 for deco. You can penetrate both halves of the wreck. Check with the truck stop. The captain on the Odyssey arranged for the truck stop to pick us up and drop us off.

I-169 was one of my favourite dives in Truk. I think it is a regular on the Odyssey.

The Hainan Maru was, to be honest, one of my least favourite in Truk (see also: list of ugliest Victoria Secret's models), but everyone has their own tastes.

Never did the Oite, but would dearly love to do so one day, preferably on helium.

Unless you are on a rebreather it is going to be expensive on helium. If I remember correctly they charge about $6 / cu ft for helium there. The last I bought in cave country was 75 cents or so per cu ft. The Oite is only about 207' or so to the sand. It isn't that bad on air. I am a poor construction worker and couldn't see spending $500 for one dive to 200'. After being in truck for a while and doing several dives a day to 150' or so on air 200' is not bad. The water is clear and warm with little to no current.

OK, so which wrecks are lowest on your list? It still comes down to sacrificing on for another.
Absolutely not lowest on my list, but in the area/vicinity of the I-169 Sub if you want to substitute it for these wrecks: Hoyo Maru (tanker); Yamagiri Maru; Kiyosumi Maru; Heian Maru; and Kansho Maru.

Talk it over with the Odyssey Captain & Dive Guides to see what options are available.

Another option is what bamafan did above --arrange for the Truk Stop Dive Ops to pick you up from Odyssey Liveaboard and take you to the I-169 Sub (or Oite Destroyer, Aikoku Maru etc). . .

I can see that the she might be more interesting than the San Francisco in a similar depth, especially after a week of diving on mostly merchantman.

You really must be kidding? The San Francisco Maru is one of the top wreck dives in the world and probably the best dive in the Pacific. I have dived it at least 8 times and could dive it every day if possible. I would take a dive on it over any other wreck, but as there are so many great ones, then you do need to limit visits. I did it twice a few times and wish I was staying for more than 3 weeks so we could have done it more.

As to the ones not to bother about:
* IJN Fumitzuki - too wrecked to be worthwhile compared to the other wrecks
* Patrol Boat 34 - also called IJN Susuki - a ruin
* Hanakawa Maru - a nice wreck but a long way from the other wrecks, only do if diving there for more than 10 to 12 days

All the other wrecks are worth doing, especially on a short trip. For more information on the wrecks, see my web site Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site.

You really must be kidding? The San Francisco Maru is one of the top wreck dives in the world and probably the best dive in the Pacific.

Couldn't agree more. The San Francisco has to be one of the top dives there, and probably the signature dive of Truk Lagoon. It's also quite a bit deeper than the
I-169, 180 feet plus in the forward hold.

You really must be kidding? The San Francisco Maru is one of the top wreck dives in the world and probably the best dive in the Pacific. ...

I have spent a lot of time on large merchantman over the years so maybe I’m jaded. There are lots of rave reviews on the San Francisco but they are light on specifics. What makes the San Francisco so interesting compared to all the other similar vessels at Truk? I must admit that greater depth adds a sense of scale and excitement to larger wrecks.

I do have one quibble though: “probably the best dive in the Pacific”???… Bikini is in the Pacific and those wrecks have to be the best in the world! A little hard to access though. :wink:

Granted, I am biased. I have always been more interested in warships for some reason. I would be perfectly happy to never dive another tanker or bulk carrier no matter where it is.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom