Leash for wet lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That statement is laughable at best. A properly mounted leash has no reason to even touch the glass.
Not the leash the lens dangling and hitting randomly the tray, part of the housing or the bottom. Someone earlier in the thread suggested leaving the lens attached to a leash during the dive instead of putting it on a caddy

The leash is only useful to make sure you don't drop it, not as a way to take the lens with you in the dive. Neoprene lens pouches serve that purpose better

I was guilty of occasionally letting it dangle when rushed, but usually my diopter/mount was stored by wrapping it's leash around the tray handle or my strobe cable (not FO). It was in great condition when I lost it...

Quite a few years back I used an INON UCL wet lens. I had a lens caddy to hold the lens while not in use, but I tethered it to the camera tray using a fishing leader. I looped one end through itself and wrapped it around the body of the lens, then taped it down with bright yellow tape. This held the leader in place quite well (though you need to check this on a periodic basis). As well, if for some reason the lens dropped or got disconnected, you stand a bit of a chance of finding the lens with the bright yellow tape around it. The other end of the leader had a swivel on it and it was connected to the tray. The swivel allowed the lens to be screwed onto the caddy (though I guess not required if the caddy does not require you to screw the lens into place). Good luck!

With something large, like a subsee +10 a stainless steel hose clamp with some nylon tubing over it to prevent scratching up the body of the lens would definitely hold a leash in place... easy.

The chance of dropping lenses exists with screw lenses and that is why I don't like them. I was in the pool yesterday with my buddy she was trying a new set of screw lenses. Well it was simply agony to take of the UWL-04 and screw it onto the caddy. The close up lens was easier. Last time I had screw lenses I managed to drop the diopter and catch it right away bit it was not fun. For this and other reasons I have banned screw mounts except if the lenses are really light (inon ucl165 and nauticam wetmate fall in this category) i would not bother taking the lens off with a heavier lens (subsee inon UCL100 and any form of wet wide angle lens)

I agree with that, especially wet wide angle lenses as they can be pretty heavy and a bit difficult to put back on.

The only time I have seen someone leash a wet macro lens was to use it as a magnifying glass...no camera involved. I wouldn't do it, but it can be done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom