Learning (Underwater) Photography: The 5 books every student should own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
One piece of advice that seems to be repeated quite often is that a significant part of becoming a good underwater photographer is simply becoming a good photographer (i.e. on land). In that vein, I would like to ask - if you were putting together a reading list to take a total beginner and get them started in the hobby, what would that reading list look like?

What are the first five books that every aspiring photographer should own?

-Matt

Many recommended Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition. I give it a B-. It is a little dated by now, although these concepts don't change, it did not excite me the way looking at some stellar photog's work (David Doubilet, for example) does. Looking at images is the best way to develop composition perhaps.

I like Marty Snyderman and Clay Wiseman "Guide to Marine Life" because they give photo tips for each fish, based on habitat and behavior. It is really more of an ID book. Their strategies for capturing various fish really fascinated me...and you can develop your own stealth tactics drawing from their experience.

Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography by Jack and Sue Drafahl seems pretty good but I just received it. (in fact, I think I will read it)

Ron Frank, an excellent photog here on the board recommended "Exposure" which I am biting off in bits, since I struggle with this material.

I am just a hobby photog and shoot casually.

The camera's manual!

he he.---you are kidding, right? The Nikon manual baffles me. I thought getting a "guide to the manual" would help me. Cudachaser, I think you have the best current avatar, BTW.

King Kong Matt:
One piece of advice that seems to be repeated quite often is that a significant part of becoming a good underwater photographer is simply becoming a good photographer (i.e. on land). In that vein, I would like to ask - if you were putting together a reading list to take a total beginner and get them started in the hobby, what would that reading list look like?

What are the first five books that every aspiring photographer should own?

-Matt
I don't know about which 5 books, but I would recommend

"The Essential Underwater Photography Manual" by Denise Neilsen Tackett & Larry Tackett (we bought this book at Reef Photo - recommended by Ryan)

It is very good. My wife is a beginner with photography in general, and she's reading it. It explains everything from a most basic perspective.

Understanding exposure, and aperture settings are very important, and shooting in Manual is important, on land, and Under Water.

I recommend reading http://splashdowndivers.com/photo_gallery/underwater_photography/index.html by Peter Schulz - someone I dive with, and have learned a lot about UW photography as well.

I, personally, get very little out of books.

First, I think it it is important to know your camera like the back of your hand. You need to be able to make adjustments without thinking much about it. You also need to shoot ALOT topside (hey...with digital it is free) so you know how aperture and shutter speed affect your picture (everyone SHOULD be shooting in manual). Once you review your shot on the LCD, it should be instinct on what to adjust.

Second, I get more out of looking at other's photos than reading a book on composition. If you look through the posts in the "Show Off" section at digitaldiver.net, you can see alot of great shots. When you are getting ready to take a shot of your own you will start thinking of shots that appealed to your eye and getting composition ideas. I also have learned from doing this how to make decent shots of small subjects when you happen to have your WA lens on (ie: get the small subject & some reef in one bottom corner and get blue water with sun rays or a diver in the background).

Lastly, go on organized trips with more experienced photographers. You will find 99.9% more than willing to share their knowledge. Digitaldiver.net and wetpixel.com usually have a couple of organized trips / year. Along this line, photo workshops are a great learning tool. Guys like our own Mike Veitch, Rod Klein and Mauricio Handler put on a couple of workshops per year. A person can learn a great deal just from watching these people operate.

If you just want to read, get a good Photoshop book to help you process your pictures. One of the better ones is "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby. You also can learn alot about PS on one of the organized trips or photo workshops I mentioned above.

HTH,
Dave

First thing, before buying a housed DSLR system:

1)Manufacturers Catalog

This gives you a good idea of how can you improve the system and if there will be compatibility when you change camera/housing body...

2)Camera Owners Manual

Read it every day, they are very important!!! Especially on digital world... think this way: The old chemical lab was divided: one part is now on your personal computer but a very important part of it sits right inside the housing on your camera!!! Study it.

3) Your UWPhoto Instructor's Handbook and notes

Yes, best way to learn this art/sport/hobby is by taking real-world classes and dives with a good instructor.

4)Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography by Jack and Sue Drafahl

It is a good book with lots of explanations but lacks on phisical concepts of some wrongly drawn images...

5)As many as coffee table UW Photo book you can aquire!!!

Dive, dive, dive... Shoot, shoot, shoot... Get informed on what other good UWPhotographers are doing/have done:
David Doubilet, Stephen Frink, Chris Newbert, Michael Aw... and much more.
This is good way to give the last touch you need on your UWP:
Develop your own language.

In this wonderful journey, if you get interested in General Photo, I recommend Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography. This book may help you expand the limits of your art...very good.
Nikon School of Photography is also a good chance of improving you photography and broaden your vision.

Best

Mariozi:
First thing, before buying a housed DSLR system:

1)Manufacturers Catalog

This gives you a good idea of how can you improve the system and if there will be compatibility when you change camera/housing body...

2)Camera Owners Manual

Read it every day, they are very important!!! Especially on digital world... think this way: The old chemical lab was divided: one part is now on your personal computer but a very important part of it sits right inside the housing on your camera!!! Study it.

3) Your UWPhoto Instructor's Handbook and notes

Yes, best way to learn this art/sport/hobby is by taking real-world classes and dives with a good instructor.

4)Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography by Jack and Sue Drafahl

It is a good book with lots of explanations but lacks on phisical concepts of some wrongly drawn images...

5)As many as coffee table UW Photo book you can aquire!!!

Dive, dive, dive... Shoot, shoot, shoot... Get informed on what other good UWPhotographers are doing/have done:
David Doubilet, Stephen Frink, Chris Newbert, Michael Aw... and much more.
This is good way to give the last touch you need on your UWP:
Develop your own language.

In this wonderful journey, if you get interested in General Photo, I recommend Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography. This book may help you expand the limits of your art...very good.
Nikon School of Photography is also a good chance of improving you photography and broaden your vision.

Best
Don't forget to add a book on how to properly use image-editing programs :wink:.

Taking the photo is only half the work.......

Jamdiver:
Don't forget to add a book on how to properly use image-editing programs :wink:.

Taking the photo is only half the work.......
Depends on how well you took the photo in the first place. :wink:

I very rarely retouch any of my photos.

CompuDude:
Depends on how well you took the photo in the first place. :wink:

I very rarely retouch any of my photos.
Tssk, tssk...

Let me explain myself a bit here, no amount of post-processing will correct poor composition, out of focus image or a horrible exposure.
What post-processing does do and I wouldn't even term it as 'correction' is improve contrast, saturation, give the colors a more natural 'look', i.e. that which is closer to what your eyes remember.

I'd urge you to rethink your position on post-processing, i'd say the vast majority of underwater photographs that you see on this board, ddnet, wetpixel et cetera have some post-processing done to them..

Images rarely look as good as they can be straight out of the camera, particularly when it comes to underwater photography.

Back
Top Bottom