Learning the TG-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a few dives with the camera. My ratio of bad photos to halfway decent is slowly getting better as I play around.
I do love the super macro though..
Found that roughhead blennies are willing participants!
1260 11 roughhead blenny.jpg

Seaweed blennies peeping out are a close second
1262 08 seaweed blenny.jpg

Over all I am estatic with the camera and am looking forward to my next dive.. and the next, and the next...
One big lesson I learned.. I have to EJECT the SD card from my computer. I can't just pull it out if the puter is shut down. One dive last weekend, the camera worked great on the surface, but at depth it would not work. Luckily I was pretty shallow (<20ft) and surfaced a couple times. Works. Drop down. Stops working. Thankfully no manta rays, dolphins, spotted eagle rays, etc decided to show up. LOL

I also power my camera off when not in use. IT's easy to turn on when needed. I love the macro and other shots I get from the camera. It takes time to learn settings that will suit you. I am happy with both the video and photos I get.

Attachments

• A SEA HORSE BEAUTY.jpg
    A SEA HORSE BEAUTY.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 79
Found that coral polyps are easier to shoot than juvenile high hats under a 1/2" long! LOL
I am looking at a housing in the future. Right now am wondering about some strobes. I have a couple here that I've never used and need to either get the sync cords or sell them. Did pick up a video light that has some promise. With my previous cameras I hand held a light while trying to shoot. Fun times.
Highhats can be a pain to time correctly, they move pretty quick :D

I just picked up the Inon Z-330 Type 2 and it's first dive will be tomorrow's night dive at the Frederiksted Pier. I keep my TG-6 in a PT-58 case, just in case I want to go deeper and a place to hold my lights. Nitescuba ( a Chinese company) has a pretty good tray,/handles and a remote trigger for a good price.

My wife Nathalie started with the sea and sea package tray which seemed a bit flimsy, and later ended up using a Sealife tray which clips together quite nicely. Not cheap, but what's nice is you can clip on video lights or strobes, add flexible arms, swapping them out quickly and easily. It all comes apart nicely for travelling. You can also get a cold shoe mount to go add a single light or strobe without the tray.

Nice Nanuk travel case we adapted for travel Protecting Expensive and Fragile Equipment While Traveling

I've had years and years of Christmas present ideas once Nathalie got stared with the camera.. haha. Does the TG-6 fit in the same PT-058 case? Fingers crossed in case she decides to upgrade. Olympus TG-5 Camera and PT-058 Underwater Housing Review

We are far from experts but adding the links in case anyone is looking for more info on the TG, housings, frames, and options to travel with. You can always ask Nat through the article links for any specific questions too. I'm just the spotter and fish-id guy.

My wife Nathalie started with the sea and sea package tray which seemed a bit flimsy, and later ended up using a Sealife tray which clips together quite nicely. Not cheap, but what's nice is you can clip on video lights or strobes, add flexible arms, swapping them out quickly and easily. It all comes apart nicely for travelling. You can also get a cold shoe mount to go add a single light or strobe without the tray.

Nice Nanuk travel case we adapted for travel Protecting Expensive and Fragile Equipment While Traveling

I've had years and years of Christmas present ideas once Nathalie got stared with the camera.. haha. Does the TG-6 fit in the same PT-058 case? Fingers crossed in case she decides to upgrade. Olympus TG-5 Camera and PT-058 Underwater Housing Review

We are far from experts but adding the links in case anyone is looking for more info on the TG, housings, frames, and options to travel with. You can always ask Nat through the article links for any specific questions too. I'm just the spotter and fish-id guy.
The PT-58 does seem to be the same as the PT-59 other then the color. I have had my TG-6 under 4 times in the old case with no issues.

Since I had a sealife before (old style) but I didn't like the lock in for their connect system, so I went with the Ball Adapter Ys Mount Light Arm Bracket. With 2 of them on each side I can get the strobe anywhere.

This is just an example Nauticam Panasonic LX10 Underwater Photo Package

I'm really going to have to save up for next Christmas :wink: but this looks great. I know one of the complaints has been the ability to direct the light onto small subjects ... this certainly looks like it would do the trick. thanks for the link and tips.
Also found another thread on scubaboard for PT-58/59 and people are indeed using these for both. Cool!!

I'm really going to have to save up for next Christmas :wink: but this looks great. I know one of the complaints has been the ability to direct the light onto small subjects ... this certainly looks like it would do the trick. thanks for the link and tips.
Also found another thread on scubaboard for PT-58/59 and people are indeed using these for both. Cool!!
Again that was just the example I could find. I think I paid $20 for the tray, $20 for the arm mounted trigger, $5 or so for the rails and maybe 5 for the clamps. I did buy my strobe from Backscatter and they shipped it like the minute they got the order and I got it in like 4 days (to the USVI which is a feat). So most of it is stocking stuff. I do want a coldshoe adapter for a small video light though. I may go with a 2nd strobe later on.

This is without strobe:

Attachments

• PA100065.jpeg
    PA100065.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 71
I would suggest housing any TG series camera - they are OK within their depth limits, but it's not if but when the seals are going to fail. In particular all the buttons rather than the card and battery covers. The buttons seem to use a membrane seal which fails eventually and the camera stops working. If you read the fine print in the manual you will see it recommends you have it serviced annually to replace the seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom