Learning Reg servicing....Conshelf VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigredbill

Contributor
Reaction score
I have decided to learn how to do reg servicing for my own regs, and have Mr. Harlow's book on the way to me. As part of this process I bought an old and cheap Conshelf VI off Ebay for the express purpose of using it as a cadavar for my learning process. I did have a few questions for folks who know this particular reg. Fist off - is the 2nd stage any different than the 2nd on a Conshelf XIV? What type of 1st stage is it? Piston/Dia? Is anyone out there actively diving on this reg anymore, and if so how does it perform compared to more modern reg? Finally, approx. what time frame was this model reg made by US Divers? Thanks for any info on this model you can provide!! Any manual for this reg, anyone?

The conshelf series are a balanced diaphragm 1st with an unbalanced second stage. All the second stages are identical inside except for the glacia. They all take the same parts. The 1st stage is identical inside to todays titan series. the only difference is in shape. They even take the same parts kit. The second stage is slightly different but uses the same lp seat.

I have several lying around and would not hesitate to use them on any dive within the recreational limits. I haven't had a chance to put the service manual on the computer yet but have them. I should be able to walk you through the steps or answer any questions as they come up.

Hallmac

Thanks Hallmac for quick response. So all series of Conshelf's are the same internally? Only vary in number of LP ports? So the 2nd stage on the Conshelfs are the same guts - from Conshelf 4 to Conshelf 23 or whereever they stopped?

After taking a closer look at the reg I purchased, it actually says Calypso VI, not Conshelf on the purge button, so perhaps I do not have what I thought I did. Was the Calypso a different family?

yes! the calypso is a differtent series all together. Most of them are a piston design. Very simple to work on.

Just so you know a very large percentage of USD/Aqualung/seaquest second stages are identical inside.

The Micra/Impulse/Glacia being the exception.

Hallmac

So now that I have it straight which variety I have, perhaps it would make good sense for me to acquire an old Conshelf of some variety in order to compare and contrast.

Some questions for you - the 2nd stages on the early calypso series - are the the same as what was on the Conshelf? And are people still actively diving the older Calypso? Does the family heritage you mentioned in the previous post for the Conshelf family = the same guts inside - also apply to the Calypso family? And what would be the general accepted wisdom about the performance of the Calypso VI compared to modern day reg? Is the Calypso VI balanced or unbalanced? Does anyone know where a service manual might be for this reg/series of regs? Thanks!

bigredbill once bubbled...
Some questions for you - the 2nd stages on the early calypso series - are the the same as what was on the Conshelf?

Yes.
And are people still actively diving the older Calypso?

Yes

Does the family heritage you mentioned in the previous post for the Conshelf family = the same guts inside - also apply to the Calypso family?

Yes

And what would be the general accepted wisdom about the performance of the Calypso VI compared to modern day reg?

It is lower but acceptable for depths under 100 fsw

Is the Calypso VI balanced or unbalanced?

Unbalanced

It is currently being used by Aqualung as their Oxygen reg for deco and high oxygen content applications.

It is not a very popular model and the time it takes to convert to PDF generally is saved for the more popular models so an online manual will be hard to find.

Hallmac

Hallmac once bubbled...

It is currently being used by Aqualung as their Oxygen reg for deco and high oxygen content applications.

Hallmac

Hallmac,
Are you talking about the old Calypso VI antique? I think you mean the newer ones with the resurrected Calypso name which are cheap unbalanced piston regs. If anyone needs the old Calypso VI manual I already have it in .pdf.
Neil

I have just joined this thread and am impressed.
I will be putting HTML and PDF downloadable versions of a ca1972 Aqualung service manual on my website for historical research purposes only. This covers from Mistral and Aquamaster twin hose regs through to the Deepstar II.
I am still using the Calypso J first stage that bought new in 1973. This is like the Calypso III but with a built J valve for a 500 psi reserve.
I have found nothing to match this unit. It is stamped 3500psi service and so is one of the last of these.
I want use this with Nitrox. Can anyone tell me if I will need to replace parts in this or the Calypso second stage.
Don

bigredbill once bubbled...
So all series of Conshelf's are the same internally? Only vary in number of LP ports? So the 2nd stage on the Conshelfs are the same guts - from Conshelf 4 to Conshelf 23 or whereever they stopped?

That is what is good about US Divers. You can have 30-year Conshelf overhauled with no problem. They use the same parts kit as a new Titan. Conshelfs are nice regulators and are uncomplicated, dependable, and smooth breathing. I have a Conshelf-21 that I bought new 18 years ago and have never had a problem with it. My Conshelf-12 as is prettier, though, with its chrome-plated 2nd stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom