Learning Marine Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Huamann and DeLoach series for Caribbean fauna. It is a very good guide. Taking photo helps. It is easy to look in the book and not remember if the fish you saw had a spot just anterior to its caudal fin or not.

It depends on how far you want to go. It really does not take long to be able to ID about 95 percent of the larger fish you see. For ones you do not know, you can usually figure out the family - blend, frog fish, squirrel fish, grunt, grouper or what not.

I went on a dive trip Paul Humann led. Each evening he would give us an illustrated lecture on some fish group, like parrot fish, or wrasses, or butterflies, what to look for and how to see the differences within that group. The next day we would focus on that group during our dives, trying to see the differences, make notes during the dive (REEF survey slates), and compare notes later that day. Most of us would take pictures of the fish we couldn't figure out at the moment, during the dive. On the first days of the trip, I was mostly taking pictures; on the last days I took maybe 10-20 pictures on a dive. Terrific.

There is so much out there. I suggest you go to the local dive shop where you will be diving.. talk to the divers there to find out who seems to be "in the know" and ask that diver what reference book they suggest :)

I forgot to mention some of the strengths of the Huamon & DeLoach books, on the more variable and common species, they have multiple photos showing the different color phases and immatures and adults. They also have arrows pointing to the diagnostic feature on a particular fish. The books are the best ones I have seen on Caribbean Faina. They are heavy which makes taking them on a dive trip is problematic. Fortunately, most dive resorts have a set that you can refer to.

One other resource I'd recommend is ReefNet's Fish ID DVD. As someone else mentioned, the books are too heavy to carry on a trip. The DVD is a great way to bring the resource along if you are already carrying a computer. The other thing I like about the DVD is they have multiple (many) pictures of most species. This allows you to see regional variations, differences in males/females and juveniles/adults. There is also far more information on each species than they can fit into the book. I have the 3rd edition - 4th looks to be much better.

I find most of the "Apps" to be too brief. The DVD packs a lot of information: http://reefnet.ca/products/fishes/caribbean/

If you are back home and looking for internet help, the following sites can provide some good comparative photos:
Dolly Jeb Enterprises - Home
Florent's Guide To The Tropical Reefs - Fish, Creatures and Corals
The Vibrant Sea - The Underwater Photography of Jeff Rosenfeld

For more specific critters:
Marine Flatworms: Marine Flatworms of the World!
Sea Slugs (Nudibranchs): The Sea Slug Forum - Home Page
Frogfish: frogfishes, anglerfishes: behavior, luring, camouflage, identification key, all frogfish species

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom