Learning in Subic bay recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shamufish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello there, total and complete newbie here. I'm lucky to be able to stay in subic bay the next two weeks. I'd like to learn how to dive, but I'm a bit wary of the level of the schools in the area.

Can someone recommend a safe school for beginners? I read about Diver's Network and Johan.

Cheers!

Hi,

There's a wide range of diving providers in Subic Bay. I teach there myself, providing a full range of PADI courses and guided diving on the wrecks and reefs. Let me know any diving and non-diving requirements or any questions you might have.

Happy to help. :)

If you need more info on the scuba diving in Subic, please feel free to check out my article:
Wreck Dive Subic Bay

Cheers,

Andy, the site is not quite right, the images are blocking some of text.

One of my mates from UK and I are interested in coming over for a weeks diving in July, I will be in Malaysia on my way back from Sipadan.

Thanks Andy, I've sent you a message through your site.

Cheers

PS: did you get my message? Seems that most dive places in Subic are having some kind of technical problem or another with their site.

Last edited:
I was diving at Johan few weeks ago. Someone walked in and asked how long would it take to complete a PADI open Water course> The reply was 5 days, no more or less. I believe some places are willing to cut it to 3 days.
Seek your instructor carefully and do not judge by the cost!!!! There may be some good reasons for it!!!
You would have no problem with Johan.
Have a nice trip.

A course is neither cut, nor extended.

It consists of 5 theory modules, 5 confined modules, 4 open water dives and an exam. They can be easily scheduled into 3 days, or run over 6 weeks. It matters little.

What matters is that the materials and skills are covered in-depth and that the student has time to absorb those things.

Thus, it is a matter of study/training 'hours' rather than simply specifying how many days the course lasts.

Of course, some resorts might want to extend a course because students prefer a half-day approach to training (allowing for beer sozzled nightime enjoyments, family time or to enjoy non-diving activities), or because the dive centres' schedule needs staff to divide their time between OW classes and other duties... or simply to maximise on accomodation profits. It isn't necessarily about quality...there's plenty of reasons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom