Learned Wrong...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I somehow don't see this as a useful thing to be promoting to recreational scuba divers. Far better to spend the effort teaching them how to not ever find themselves in a position where such a desperate measure would be needed ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

2. When I first asked what Nitrox was, an experienced diver (but not a nitrox diver) explained to me that it enable you do dive deeper than you can on air.

When I asked that question, I was told it nitrox would let you stay down longer. I assumed it was some magic gas that made it so you wouldn't need to breath much, or you got a full breath off of a 1/4 inhale or something...
:dropmouth:

I somehow don't see this as a useful thing to be promoting to recreational scuba divers. Far better to spend the effort teaching them how to not ever find themselves in a position where such a desperate measure would be needed ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I agree that effort spent teaching how to not need to make a free ascent is time well spent, but I also believe that instruction that turns a "desperate measure" into a routine procedure can be every bit as worthwhile. I think it make little sense to require someone to teach anything on an, "only do it once" basis. Would you skydive without a reserve chute or see wearing one as a, "desperate measure?

…What's most interesting about that is that clearly, the Navy Manual has taken it on their own to redefine certain terms. For example, a "free ascent" is simply an ascent made without a downline or anchor line. Clearly, according to the Navy Manual, it is defined differently….

You have it backward. The Navy’s usage dates back before I saw my first manual published in 1959. The recreational industry has taken it on their own to redefine, some say bastardized, the terms.

…I am surprised to see that the US Navy dive manual recommends dropping weights at depth. I haven't seen any organization recommend that over a CESA. ….

How can I put this gently… the Navy trains their divers better. They don’t sugar-coat the realities of barotrauma with non-threatening rules like “never stop breathing”. Free ascents are taught and practiced. Navy, commercial, and other “old-school” trained divers virtually never embolize themselves. Exhaling on ascent is as reflexive as a cough.

Granted it isn’t obvious from 7-8.1 Emergency Free-Ascent Procedures alone that it isn’t necessary to dump your weight belt and inflate your BC unless you deem it appropriate. Competent divers:
  • know the difference between 20' and 180'.
  • effects of dropping a 6 Lb belt in the tropics versus a 30 Lb belt in the Arctic.
  • don’t need a separate procedure to suck expanding gas off their cylinders on ascent when that is an option.

…These things are in direct opposition with what is taught by many agencies, the latter part is direct opposition to a PADI Rescue class, for example….

PADI and competing training companies are in a very different business. They must model recommendations to customers with very limited technical knowledge and skills. That appears to have perpetuated misconceptions even in their instructors. Recommendations that they believe are suitable for their customers have somehow morphed into mandates from god.

Warning, this is a geezer alert!
I’m having trouble processing any comparison between PADI’s current guidelines and the collective work of the US Navy Experimental Diving Unit, Diving School, and fleet diving operations since the first manual was published in 1905. I should probably shut up now.

…I don't know that they believe it "impossible" so much as they feel that it is not a healthy, positive solution to a problem at depth.

What healthy and positive option is there that meets the Navy’s guideline for free ascent? Please read them again. It is pretty clear that it is for last-ditch emergencies when all other alternatives have failed or are not available in time. Therefore the only options are to asphyxiate and die, hope for divine intervention, or surface.

For all practical purposes barotrauma is not even a concern because it is a given that divers are skilled and practiced at preventing it. At that point the possibility of DCS is absolutely a very serious possibility, but not a certainty. However it is much more treatable, slower acting, and much less certain than forgoing breathing on the bottom.

Please don’t list all the reasons why this isn’t supposed to happen. Unfortunately it happens far too frequently to divers that are well within no-D limits (thus a marginal DCS risk). Way too many recreational divers are found dead on the bottom rather than potential DCS patients swimming toward the boat.

What the US Navy is defining as an "emergency free-ascent" is actually the same thing as what everyone else is calling a "bouyant ascent," where you drop your weights at depth, and no organization that I know of, other than the US Navy apparently, recommends the procedure... The most cited reasons are because swimming is faster than a buoyant ascent, dropping weights generally takes additional time, and because the ascent can be controlled if it's swum, whereas a bouyant ascent can not, especially as the surface is approached. Presumably, a swimming ascent is also at a constant or near-constant speed, whereas a bouyant ascent accelerates toward the surface - the opposite of what is healthy physiologically.

I am surprised to see that the US Navy dive manual recommends dropping weights at depth. I haven't seen any organization recommend that over a CESA.

Then again, it also surprises me that they recommend inflating a "life preserver" at depth in addition to dropping weights... Again, in opposition of what I see every other organization recommend.

You need to remember that the diver has a barge, or vessel, and recompression chamber as well as support divers waiting for him on the surface. Also, for the most part, the will be doing one NDL dive for the day. they are not recreational divers. If there was not a life threatening issue they would swim up.

I don't know if a submarine is kept at 1 ATA while submerged, but if it is, that would make sense physiologically. Personnel escaping a sub, therefore, would take a breath, "blow" the hatch, and then immediately attempt as fast an ascent as possible. In this way, they're more like freedivers, and lung overexpansion and DCS are nonissues because they are not breathing compressed gasses at depth.

In other words, the physiology of a diver and a submariner are distinctly different because of the exposure to ambient pressure at depth. The idea of a bouyant "emergency free-ascent" makes sense for an escaping submariner. It does not make sense for a diver OOA.

I suspect that the differences were either unknown or mistaken when the US Navy manual was created and therefore flawed.

As Thal wrote a submarine is at approx 1ATA, we did have an altimiter in manuvering but that is another story.

As for the emergency escape, you are put in a very small chamber with a few of your closest friends and pressurized as fast as possible to the submergence depth. You equalise as fast as possible to save your ears and when at depth open the hatch and escape. When I practiced it was after the Stenke hood and before the new appliance, so went up like little santas, going ho ho ho all the way up.

It is basicly a Bounce Dive, VDGM's gotta love me getting that in.

That doesn't seem like it sheds light in terms of "diver physiology" to me, unless, of course, Captain Bond was breathing gasses at an ambient pressure of 12 ATAs first. If he simply went from 1 ATA to 12 instantly, then either swam or made himself bouyant to travel - successfully - 363' to the surface to 1 ATA again, his profile much more closely resembled a freediver on a single breath hold than that of a scuba diver, with dissolved gasses in his tissues. The two physiologies are almost totally unrelated.

There is no way to go from 1ata to 12 instantaneously, what Captain Bond and Chief Tuckfield proved is that the time it took to perform this evolution was short enough to give submariners a chance to get out of a sub bottomed at that depth and to the surface alive. Submariners, including myself, have a debt of gratitude and thank them for their work.

A scuba diver doing this kind of ascent - that is, becoming buoyant through the dropping of weights and/or the inflation of a "life preserver" (BC) - and traveling as quickly as possible from 363' to the surface - would clearly be an exceedinly dangerous thing to do. This type of profile would almost certainly result in severe (and possibly fatal) DCS, and likely create all kinds of barotrauma for a scuba diver, such as an anneurism.

I don't know that they believe it "impossible" so much as they feel that it is not a healthy, positive solution to a problem at depth.

Buoyant ascent is not the first answer to a problem, whether at 363' or 20', it is the last. The question is, would you rather be dead on the bottom or hope you beat the odds on the surface?

I already know my answer.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
Well, sure, Bob... But I can also see Bob (Grateful Diver)'s point in the real value of teaching how to prevent having to make that decision.

...And I can also see serious value in Thal's "desperate measure" into a "routine procedure" thought.

I just don't see the need for a bouyant ascent when it comes to a scuba diver. Sure, it can be done, but wouldn't a CESA (ascending by swimming and becoming progressively bouyant, rather than instantly bouyant by dropping weights and/or inflating your BC) be a better solution? Add that a scuba diver would be N2 loaded (unlike an escaping submariner), and would likely receive another breath out of his rig every few tens of feet while ascending, and it simply too small a benefit for the risks associated.

Think about this:

For this type of emergency to occur, the following would have to have happened:

1. The diver would have to have totally ignored his/her gas supply and his/her gauges.
2. The diver has lost his/her buddy.
3. The diver has not heeded the warnings of a low tank like progressively flexible hoses, a "lightening" of his/her rig, and an increasing difficulty of drawing gas through the regulator.
4. The diver would have to have zero inherent understanding of time limits... In other words, be unaware that "they've been down here for a lot longer than ever before."

Okay, so... If all of the above is true, and we actually have a solo diver totally out of gas at depth, in addition, they'd have to:

1. Be too overweighted to swim up.
2. Have a simultaneous, complete wing or BC failure.

If one of the above is not happening to this diver, then the diver can simply swim up... That is, do a CESA. That way, the diver remains in control of themselves during the entire ascent, and gets another breath of gas from their tank or tanks every few tens of feet. It's even possible that, in doing a CESA, the diver does not exceed a recommended 30 fpm ascent rate... Or at least a 60 fpm ascent rate.

There is simply no reason to dump weight and shoot to the surface... That is, no reason to choose an emergency buoyant ascent over a CESA.

You have it backward. The Navy’s usage dates back before I saw my first manual published in 1959. The recreational industry has taken it on their own to redefine, some say bastardized, the terms.

...And I understand that. The concept of the recreational community doing that - "bastardzing" - seems consistent with what I see coming from the recreational community today.

...But if the whole world is defining a term one way, then it's a miscommunication to call it something else, even if you were the first one to use the term.

How can I put this gently… the Navy trains their divers better.

I hear that, and... Having studied for the USN at Duke University's Hyperbaric Facility... I can tell you that I completely understand where you're coming from. However, that opinion is a broad generalization and doesn't account for individual instructors or exactly what part of dive training that you're talking about.

For example, I can tell you that I saw the direct results of Jarrod Jablonski and DAN working together to create dive profiles that affected the USN dive tables. Jarrod, by military definition, is a "recreational" dive instructor. Yet they sought his expertise, and clearly learned a lot from him.

Another example is the citation that you provided from the USN Dive Manual. While emergency bouyant ascents might be appropriate for escaping submariners that are effectively freedivers... Or described by Bob as "bounce divers," N2 loaded scuba divers - that is, divers that have been breathing gasses at depth - have better, safer, faster, simpler options to the triple-catastrophe of being simultaneously lost from their buddy, without any other backup breathing gas, and out of gas on their primary source... Namely, swimming up and taking another breath... The CESA.

They don’t sugar-coat the realities of barotrauma with non-threatening rules like “never stop breathing”. Free ascents are taught and practiced. Navy, commercial, and other “old-school” trained divers virtually never embolize themselves. Exhaling on ascent is as reflexive as a cough.

I agree. But that doesn't explain why a loaded scuba diver would choose a bouyant ascent over a swimming, neutral one, especially after suffering a double or triple (depending on how you look at it) catastrophe. Bob's right... It shouldn't ever get to that point. And Thal's right... If it does, the diver needs to know how to handle it. "Bouyant" is uncontrolled, dangerous, likely going to cause some sort of barotrauma in the person that's never done it before, and probably slower overall (slower to initiate) than a "CESA," which is natural, comparatively safer, and consistent with all of their training.

Granted it isn’t obvious from 7-8.1 Emergency Free-Ascent Procedures alone that it isn’t necessary to dump your weight belt and inflate your BC unless you deem it appropriate.

I have yet to see an intelligent argument for when it is "appropriate" to dump your weight belt and inflate your BC at depth. The idea of an "escaping submariner" may be, in retrospect, but it's definitely not a good idea for a scuba diver. That is... There are safer, simpler options including the CESA... And as Bob (Grateful Diver) pointed out... Not getting to the point of needing to consider a CESA.

PADI and competing training companies are in a very different business. They must model recommendations to customers with very limited technical knowledge and skills. That appears to have perpetuated misconceptions even in their instructors.

You know, I agree with you, and I, too, feel that there are a lot of shortcomings in the recreational diving community's teachings. Still, I don't see what that's got to do with choosing an emergency bouyant ascent over a CESA, Lord forbid a diver ever get themselves into that situation.

I’m having trouble processing any comparison between PADI’s current guidelines and the collective work of the US Navy Experimental Diving Unit, Diving School, and fleet diving operations since the first manual was published in 1905. I should probably shut up now.

Lol... Well, I didn't compare PADI specifically to USN, but I did say the "recreational community," which I suppose implies PADI. See my comment above about Jarrod, of GUE (and PADI and NACD and several others), and DAN working together at the Duke Hyperbaric Facility for the USN. In other words, there is much more "trading of ideas" than initially meets the eye, and not necessarily in one direction.

What healthy and positive option is there that meets the Navy’s guideline for free ascent? Please read them again. It is pretty clear that it is for last-ditch emergencies when all other alternatives have failed or are not available in time. Therefore the only options are to asphyxiate and die, hope for divine intervention, or surface.

See, I don't see this. Assuming that the obvious - Bob (Grateful Diver)'s recommendations are ignored and the situation really does present itself that the diver must ascend to the surface or drown - I don't see why a buoyant ascent would have an advantage over a CESA. That is, I see no advantage to dropping your weights and/or inflating your BC prior to ascending (inflating... with what? I thought we were OOA).

For all practical purposes barotrauma is not even a concern because it is a given that divers are skilled and practiced at preventing it.

No amount of skill or practice is going to prevent an air embolism or anneurism from expanding bubbles in the bloodstream or difficult-to-vent body cavities. That's the difference between a scuba diver who has been breathing compressed gasses at depth and an escaping submariner who is "freediving" or "bounce diving," depending on how you see it. That's why an escapting submariner can do a bouyant ascent at 600 fpm, while a scuba diver must (and can, since he gets another breath every few tens of feet) ascend much slower.

At that point the possibility of DCS is absolutely a very serious possibility, but not a certainty. However it is much more treatable, slower acting, and much less certain than forgoing breathing on the bottom.

Agreed. And you know what? I'd rather step out in front of a car instead of a bus. Or jump from a 2-story building than a 10-story building. But there are better options if the elevator doesn't work... Like the stairs. And if they're blocked, you could still wait for the helicopter or attempt to scale the building or wait for them to put that giant people-catcher down there... Or maybe wait out the emergency in hopes that it will be stopped before you have to jump, or maybe even a ladder truck will save your day. But for God's sakes, don't jump... Even if it works for those people who have parachutes.

Dropping weight at depth - and/or inflating your BC at depth - is akin to jumping. Why do that, when a CESA is available? At least you can control that...

Please don’t list all the reasons why this isn’t supposed to happen. Unfortunately it happens far too frequently to divers that are well within no-D limits (thus a marginal DCS risk). Way too many recreational divers are found dead on the bottom rather than potential DCS patients swimming toward the boat.

When? Where? Do you have statistics? How do you define "far too frequently," and who was "found dead on the bottom?" How would a bouyant emergency ascent have prevented the fatality better than a CESA? Do you know people who have been in the situation where they had to decide to CESA or bouyant ascend or drown? What was their choice, and what was the outcome?

And Bob DBF... What's to say that you're choosing to be bent at the surface or drowned on the bottom, anyway? If a diver, neutral in the water column, kicks up as a last resort - without dumping weight or adding gas to his/her BC - then guess what? They're bouyant. No additional work needed. That is, they'll be bent at the surface whether they like it or not, whether they dropped weights or not, if they kicked up as a last resort.

This idea of doing an emergency buoyant ascent - regardless of whose "standard" it is or when it was first published - is a more dangerous option than a CESA, if only because it is uncontrolled. It may have been the standard practice for a submariner, who is not N2 loaded... But in any situation where a diver is breathing compressed gasses - that is, open circuit or closed circuit scuba or surface-supplied... There are better, safer options than an emergency bouyant ascent.

If you disagree, that's your right... But until you can point out a reason why it's better to do an emergency buoyant ascent over a CESA (this isn't a comparison of EBA vs. drowning) as a last resort, we're not gonna agree.

Last edited:
A quick few thoughts.

Saying that a buoyant free ascent (wetsuited, empty BC, drop belt) is no big deal to control: spread your arms and legs, head way back, flare and come up as a leaf falls. Last time I checked that is at about 70 fpm. So let's not get hung up in the terminology, which we can argue in another thread at another time.

Assuming that a free ascent, buoyant or swimming, withing the no-D limits, is a flirtation with DCS is horsepucky. Folks have been so scared by the recreational diving gurus, who seem to me to know less and less about reality as time goes on, that they just don't understand that missing a deep stop or proceeding through a safety stop is very unlikely to have an effect. Many thousands of us made many thousands of dives for many, many, years without ever making a deep stop, without ever making a safety stop and without ever getting bent.

As far as JJ working with Duke on a Navy project: that's par for the course. There are a huge number of marine scientists, not just in the area of diving, working on projects for the Office of Naval Research, even I have been known to be guilty of that on occasion.

What Akimbo was getting at is the Navy divers (and I'll say the scientific divers that I've known) do many things on a completely routine basis that most recreational divers, regardless of level of certification, are not prepared or trained to do. Free Ascents are just one of those types of things. Recreational agencies and instructors have made bugaboos out of many things that they don't know how to do, precisely because they don't know how to do them, they think that it logically follows that if they don't know how to do it that it must, ipso facto, be so difficult as to be death defying and/or requiring of the stamina of a NAVY Seal ... but it just ain't so.

Last edited:
A quick few thoughts first. saying that a buoyant free ascent (wetsuited, empty BC, drop belt) is no bid deal to control: spread your arms and legs, head way back, flare and come up as a leaf falls. Last time I checked that is at about 70 fpm.

How thick of a wetsuit? Is all of the weight dropped, or just part of it? At what point in the water column, since there's going to be a LOT more bouyancy making you ascend at the surface than at depth... Are we talking about a bp/wing with 7 lbs of inherent negativity, or a common off-the-shelf BC that has 5-7 lbs of bouyancy inherent in it?

Last I checked, a bouyant ascent like what you describe resulted in a speed much faster than that... But I suppose that it really depends on how MUCH bouyancy we're talking about here. Certainly the problem would be exasperated by inflating a BC like what is being recommended.

When you say that this is "no big deal to control," do you mean that you can control your posture and possibly even your speed to some degree (it depends on how much bouyancy you're talking about), or do you mean that you can then therefore hold a stop if you run into a donor or get a few more breaths like you will?

Is this taught in scuba courses? Should it be? What makes this procedure advantageous over a CESA?

How thick of a wetsuit? Is all of the weight dropped, or just part of it? At what point in the water column, since there's going to be a LOT more bouyancy making you ascend at the surface than at depth... Are we talking about a bp/wing with 7 lbs of inherent negativity, or a common off-the-shelf BC that has 5-7 lbs of bouyancy inherent in it?

Last I checked, a buoyant ascent like what you describe resulted in a speed much faster than that... But I suppose that it really depends on how MUCH buoyancy we're talking about here. Certainly the problem would be exasperated by inflating a BC like what is being recommended.

When you say that this is "no big deal to control," do you mean that you can control your posture and possibly even your speed to some degree (it depends on how much bouyancy you're talking about), or do you mean that you can then therefore hold a stop if you run into a donor or get a few more breaths like you will?

Is this taught in scuba courses? Should it be? What makes this procedure advantageous over a CESA?
7mm Rubatex GN-231, farmer johns, attached hood. From 120 feet (for the sake of timing) down to the bottom, dump the BC (in this case it was a FENZY), roll out of a 28 lbs belt and flair. No BFD. If you point head up though you be approaching 200 FPM. You know that you are in the right position when your progress though the water column causes you to rock gently from left to right. Yes you can control you speed with your body position, if you are bellybutton uppermost with your body arched in a backward curve, you'll be doing just a hair more than 60 FPM. No you can not stop.

I've have always taught this in every class I've ever conducted, it starts out as an integral part of the free diving doff and don and moves on to the scuba and buddy breathing doff and don exercises. As I have said repeatedly ... it is just not a big deal, scientific diving courses have been teaching those skills, and by extension buoyant ascents, since the early 1950s without incident.

Last edited:
In that position, at what point are you rising at "just a hair more than 60 FPM?" Certaintly you'll be ascending faster at 10' than at 120'. Anyone can see why this would be unhealthy from a physiologic standpoint, especially if the diver was at or near their NDL, and especially if, as you said, you can not stop.

I still haven't heard a valid artument why this would be a better option than a CESA.

Further, I don't see an OOA diver suffering loss of buddy and loss of breathing gas simultaneously having the wherewithal to dump their weights, completely deflate their BC (since it's probably got some gas in it at that depth) and then assuming the body position that you speak of. The diver would simply swim for the surface by instinct AND training, if he was trained to CESA like most divers are.

Why forgo a CESA for an EBA again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom