Learing to Dive

What way would you like to be trained

• Learn to dive locally as part of a formal class and do your cerification dives in a local lake?

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • Learn to dive locally, doing classroom and pool with refural to go to tropics to finish with differe

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Learn to dive locally ,doing classroom and pool locally and going with the same instructor(and possi

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Taking a special trip with several other non divers for an all inclusive learn to dive vacation in t

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • How many people just want to learn to dive,do it all locally and just dive locally and taking the od

Votes: 21 30.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al,that is what I have been looking for.

Keep this in mind,I live in an area where we have open water for half a year with water temp between 38-65 degrees with 0-10 feet of vis . Is that local diving at its best or what! :)

I have been going into that water for the last 23 years,the last 5 taking students out on cert dives,never to see them again after certification. The only people diving that lake are going for cert dives only ,with the odd "old timer" going in.(ya,saw one with a horse collar on last weekend)

I am trying to do a study on Al's way of thinking.Easy first,then go into local and advanced training.

More input please

Thanks

Ron

I would rather have been able to choose option #3...learn here and then do the cert. dives in the tropics. I say this simply because there is more to ocean diving (currents, surge, marine life) than to inland diving, and I wish I could have been trained around that.

This is not to say that I didn't recieve excellent training inland. I can say that I am getting plenty of experience in murky/low vis. waters; my u/w navigation skills are definitely getting good!

I had decided that I wanted to dive from the get-go, so I don't think it would have mattered much about the initial conditions.

What I ACTUALLY wish is that I lived near the ocean so I could do it all there, all the time!

I am doing it all locally this summer. I have not even thought much about going to dive in the tropics. Even though the water is cold there are nice beaches here in San Diego with abundant sea life. And I feel an attachment to our local beaches.

If I lived inland where there were no beaches I probably would still want to get my certification locally. It seems nice to build relationships with the local dive community and it seems like more fun to go to the tropics already trained. Then there are more options for the trip and you don't have to spend your time taking open water certification classes. If you want to take a class you still have that option but if you would rather take another class, go on a diving tour, or go it alone you still have options.

Option 3 works very well Finstotheleft.

Severaly years back I assisted with training a local group , locally.
Classroom and pool in January,trip to Cozumel in Feb.The first day and a half were spent with finishing of some accademic and doing the cert dives.

The best thing about that trip was we had exclusive use of the dive boat(just us)at a great rate for four days of diving and a group rate for the accomodations.

But....as stated befor,none have continued to dive locally and one of the people has moved to Vancouver ,but will not dive there due to the need to use a drysuit or 6mm wetsuit.

Ron

I flew to Maui, did all of my OW cert there, and return often. Scuba is a good excuse to take off to a tropical island every couple months during the winter. Option 6: Learn to dive in the tropics. Make frequent return trips to dive.

BTW, the thread title "Learing to Dive" keeps getting my attention as I read it Leering to Dive, but keep mentally reversing it to Diving to Leer. Another nice thing about the tropics: bikinis. :D

I wanted to get my training neer home because I heard that once you go to the ocean you never want to go back where there is low viz

I wanted to get my training neer home because I heard that once you go to the ocean you never want to go back where there is low viz

Yep,the only thing keeping me going now are doing cert dives with students.

Vis yesterday was less than 5 feet.

Ron

We had like 15-20 feet viz during my training

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom