Learing to Dive

What way would you like to be trained

• Learn to dive locally as part of a formal class and do your cerification dives in a local lake?

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • Learn to dive locally, doing classroom and pool with refural to go to tropics to finish with differe

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Learn to dive locally ,doing classroom and pool locally and going with the same instructor(and possi

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Taking a special trip with several other non divers for an all inclusive learn to dive vacation in t

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • How many people just want to learn to dive,do it all locally and just dive locally and taking the od

Votes: 21 30.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Brandt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was goig to poll this but thought I would just ask.

Are there any uncertified "divers" on this board ?

Are there very many newly certified divers on here ?

If given the choice(this pertains only to landlocked and cold climate people)what would you prefer in learning to dive?

1 - Learn to dive locally as part of a formal class and do your cerification dives in a local lake?

2- Learn to dive locally, doing classroom and pool with refural to go to tropics to finish with different instructor.

3 - Lean to dive locally ,doing classroom and pool locally and going with the same instructor(and possibly the class) to finish in the tropics.

4 - Taking a special trip with several other non divers for an all inclusive learn to dive vacation in the tropics with a local(meaning your local)dive instructor and tour guide.

5 - How many people just want to learn to dive,do it all locally and just dive locally and taking the odd tropical vacation ?

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Ron

For me, taking the classes and OW dives locally trained me in the conditions I would be diving most often. Did the OW dives in a 7 mm wetsuit in 55 degree water (St. Lawrence). Wasn't easy, but I'm glad I did them here.

Definitely train & dive locally, you will dive way more often, and more diving means more fun...

I struggled with the decision whether to do classroom and pool locally and then complete cert by referral in Hawaii, and decided (based on recommendations from scubaboard members) to do the OW certification locally since if I were to do cert in warm water environment, I would have no cold water experience.

I feel this was good advice. Since my local diving is rather cold, I'd much rather have training in this environment and be able to dive comfortably and simply enjoy the tropical diving as a "treat".

Hi All !
I sent this post off without proofing or finishing what I was really looking for.

If all you are going to do is dive tropical what would you prefer?

Rest assured,if you lived where I do,local diving is dead. No money to spend at the local lds but appears there are lots of divers locally(province wide)that it seems all tropical is in.

BTW: I dive locally and teach diving as well.

Thanks

Ron

id still want to learn locally, if you can dive in the cold dark depths of england, you can probably manage the tropics easily, this doesnt work the other way, also should you decide its great and want to take it up locally as well, you will be more than prepared

i think the options open to people expand the possibilities for people who would never dive cold water, but i still think local should be the prefered option for most people

dont forget your wallet.....if it is stuffed with the green it doesnt matter too much.....remember...referals are not free. And, depending on where you do your open water.....it could be twice the cost.

i agree with those indicating do it all at one place......best with your local lds.....start building a relationship there now.

My local certification experience was at best miserable!
Climate - rain and very cold water and 3 - 5 foot visibility.

My first ocean dive with 3 - 5 foot waves was a relief.

Learned locally, did OW dives in 6mm off Cape Ann Mass and Maine. Dove alot for a couple years locally till we got spoiled by warm water and tired of wetsuits and local diving hassles (parking, etc.) Still glad I did it though, experienced the local diving and it was a good way to develop skills. If you learn only in warm water, you're not ready to do cold.

My wife wanted to get certified in warm waters on a lengthy vacation. I think it was a good plan and it worked great for her. When we returned home she bought all the thick rubber required and continued learning.

The best thing was right after her getting certified I was able to take her to some great spots that really fed her desire to dive. If we had been home in cold murky waters I'm not sure she'd be the fanatic she is today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom