leaky tanks? leaky valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got my double tanks filled at the local lds. I didnt check the pressure right after they filled them, but when i went to go diving about a month after i got them filled, my double tanks were at 2500. i just assumed that they filled them fast and they cooled to 2500 psi.

so after that trip, i fill the tanks myself. i do a slow fill to about 3200 so they will cool to around 3000. i filled them about 2 weeks ago, and when i checked the pressure last night, the tanks were around 2800.

is this leak coming from my valves and/or manifold? i've never had this problem before, but im going to take them apart and reasemble them next time i go into work.

has anyone had this problem before? anyone know what i should do?

odds are its the manifold. rebuild and be sure to use new copper gaskets if its a thermo. they are a one use part.

I fill tanks all the time. A bottle of soapy water while filling should help with checking for any leaks. Spray the burst disc, around tank valve where it mates to the tank and up under the knob while filling. If it's leaking any it should show at this time.
Always gauge your tanks before leaving your LDS.
Leave nothing to chance.
Dive Safe, Dive Often, Dive Prince William Sound, Alaska

I bet its under the knobs at the stem or via the gasket. Get yourself a slotted screwdriver, pull the knobs off and check.

Losing just the high pressures is common with bad gaskets in thermo manifolds.

Let us know which manifold.

Are you using two different gauges to check the pressure and/or is the air temp different between when you fill and when you check the pressure? If you are using two gauges, they might be off; and the air temp will affect the pressure reading in the tank.

Before you tear down the manifold, I would do the bubble check. You can also do these at the surface before a dive- just lean back so your valves and regs are underwater and have your buddy look for bubbles. Just be sure to give it a minute so that he can tell the difference between a leak and air just trapped by the regs.

Submerge the tanks without a regulator attached in a tub of water and look for leaks for at least a couple of minutes before you tear things apart. Find the leak point first, it may be something as simple as a loose burst disc plug.

its the sea elite manifold

Jorbar1551:
its the sea elite manifold
As in it the sea elite manifold that is leaking or you have a sea elite manifold?

So what's the story? Bubble test? Tear down?

i took it into work and tore it down into the three basic parts while giving my tanks a vis. it looked like it came a little loose while traveling and salt got in while diving. there was also a lot of salt that was between the 0-ring and the tank valve. i cleaned them up and gave it new o-rings. ill check the pressure in a couple days and ill let everyone know

Back
Top Bottom