Leaky pressure guage hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freborg

Reaction score
Can a hose leak at the metal crimp/sleeve at the first stage be repaired. It actually feels like there is a pinhole in the hose leading to the console just outside the crimp. Thank you for your help before I spend $$$ on a new console.

No, the hose can't be repaired, but you don't need a whole console, just the hose. New HP hoses go for $20~$30. Make sure you get the hose length you want, as they come in different lengths.

I have been told that a hydraulics shop can chop off the end and crimp on a new one for very little money. I have a leaking hose myself :) I have no tried going to any shops, mainly because I just was told of this yesterday....try calling a hydraulics shop near you and ask.

The odds that a hydraulic shop would have that fitting is pretty slim. Also, keep in mind that if you look at a HP hose - you will see lots of pin holes going up the entire hose line. Internally there is metal braid to give the hose strength, but if air starts to leak through the braid, you don't want the hose to balloon up like a football then pop... thus the holes. But the air can travel a ways before it comes out, so the leak might be at the connector, or a few inches up the hose. Hard to say.

I'd say you'd be easier just getting a new hose and screwing it on.

scubatoys is right, there is a failsafe mechanism that creates little pinhole leaks through a double layered hose in order to avoid catastrophic air loss. Your hose has failed, get a new one they are relatively cheap.

If you replace the hose don't forget about the little spool inside the hose at the console as it will not come with the new hose and is easy to discard with the old hose if you are not aware of it.

Good call on the HP Spool. Another tech note here, make sure you use 2 wrenches on the gauge side so you don't crack the gauge. Here is a page showing how to do it with description and photos. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/hpspool.asp

That article was actually for leaks at the gauge end - the reg end is pretty straight forward... Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

I'd check the spool first before buying a new hose. Try replacing the 2 o-rings.

Sideband:
I'd check the spool first before buying a new hose. Try replacing the 2 o-rings.
freborg says the leak is at the 1st. stage end of the hose. I don't see how the spool would cause that.

cancun mark:
scubatoys is right, there is a failsafe mechanism that creates little pinhole leaks through a double layered hose in order to avoid catastrophic air loss. Your hose has failed, get a new one they are relatively cheap.

Hey! that's why I love this board. I learned something new today! It never dawned on me that all those itty-bitty little dots on my hoses were fail-safes. I went and checked the hoses on my regs, and sure enough, most of them have it. I did see one that didn't have it. Oh well.

I liked the Scubatoys link. Great story. I've just got one question: When replacing the HP spool, how much silicone grease should you put? I kinda recall a thread where the debate was sparingly versus lotsa grease. can't seem to find that thread anymore though. So, which was it again? Lots of grease or just coated o-rings? :huh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom