Leaky neck seal on a CF200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stilldivin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought this suit a few months ago used. I am having an ongoing problem of the neck seal leaking in the front. I've tried folding it in at various lengths and even not folding it at all. I use a Pinnacle drysuit hood. I've tested it for leaks with a vacuum cleaner and it's fine. The seal feels OK too. Any ideas? I'm 5'9" 195 pounds. I have a "normal" size neck.

Hi Stilldivin. What type of neck seal? I'm assuming the seal was cut when you purchased your drysuit.

Could you describe the vacuum cleaning test? I'm not familiar with that.

Do you have a photo of yourself with the neck seal on?

Thank you,

Kathy

If you are "folding" it I would assume it is a neoprene seal. I could never get mine to work, and I was wet every dive until I switched to latex.

Sorry for taking too long to answer, my notifications are not working. It's a latex neck seal and is trimmed, and it seems to fit fine. I do fold it. I believe DUI says to fold the latex neck seal but not the latex wrist seals. I'm diving Friday and will have a buddy take a photo of me in it.

Thanks for the additional information. Neoprene neck seals fold, latex neck seals do not. The seal is created by the latex resting flat against your neck. It is really just the very end of the seal that 'seals'.

A couple of things to try this weekend.

Before you head out to dive look at yourself in a mirror. Pay attention to your neck as you turn your head. Does your neck develop channels as you turn your head? If so try moving the neck seal up or down. We have a video up at Prominent tendons? Leaky seals? Try this. - DUI Online - drysuits which may help describe this.

Hair will also effect the seal.

Do not put your hood under the neck seal

Some people find turning their heads a lot will cause leakage. So they turn their whole body. Think of someone with a sore neck. You sort of turn without moving your neck much.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Kathy

Thanks for the additional information. Neoprene neck seals fold, latex neck seals do not. The seal is created by the latex resting flat against your neck. It is really just the very end of the seal that 'seals'.

A couple of things to try this weekend.

Before you head out to dive look at yourself in a mirror. Pay attention to your neck as you turn your head. Does your neck develop channels as you turn your head? If so try moving the neck seal up or down. We have a video up at Prominent tendons? Leaky seals? Try this. - DUI Online - drysuits which may help describe this.

Hair will also effect the seal.

Do not put your hood under the neck seal

Some people find turning their heads a lot will cause leakage. So they turn their whole body. Think of someone with a sore neck. You sort of turn without moving your neck much.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Kathy
My dive buddy gave me the wrong information. Oops! OK, I will not fold it. I do put the hood over it and I don't have much hair so that's not a problem. I really don't have any prominent tendons either, but I'll still look at the video. The vacuum test is turning the suit inside out, sealing the seals with rubber bands except one. That one, a wrist seal, you put over a vacuum cleaner hose and seal with a rubber band. Set the vacuum to blow setting, but not too hard. Then you can check for leaks by feeling and also by spraying water on the suit.

W DSC00106.jpgDSC00107.jpgDSC00108.jpg I went diving yesterday and the neck seal leaked really badly. I met up with another dive buddy after the dive and she told me I had the seal up too high on my neck and it was too big. She suggested I make a small neoprene strap with Velcro to go around the seal so it would fit better and not leak. Next dive I'll try that.

Your pics make it look like the seal is still folded or rolled at the top.

It should be flat all the way, especially at the top lip, with the edge pointed upward.

Sent you a private message.

Thank you, Kathy

I carefully inspected the neck seal and found a tiny hole in it. Duh! I've patched it and we will see how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom