Leaky drysuit inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can tolerate my cuff dump leaking, but I was way too damp this afternoon from my leaky inflator. I think it is only leaking when I put air in.

The only thing that was wet was my chest so I know it wasn't a leak any where else.

My drysuit is a Whites Catalyst.

How can I fix this, or can I?

Thanks,

TwoBit

What kind of inflator valve do you have? Some of the stock valves will tend not to last very long without that happening. You may need to replace it. I've heard a lot of people recommend si tech valves, but I can't speak from experience since I haven't had to replace mine...yet.

Dive-aholic:
I've heard a lot of people recommend si tech valves, but I can't speak from experience since I haven't had to replace mine...yet.
Actually, the Whites Catalyst comes with the Si Tech valve. I would absolutely do a leak test on the valve, 'cause sometimes the leaks seem to be coming from one place, and are really originating from another.
I've had two used suits with so many leaks that my wife thought the leak test was a normal part of every pre-dive prep. :11: Now that I've got my new Whites, anyone wanna' buy some leaky dry suites?

I like to remove my valves once a year, soak them in a viniger and water solution and inspect and clean the mating surface on the suit.

It is possible you have some debris in there especially if you were looking for something in the bottom at any point.

If you send it back to Whites for repair be prepaired for a very long wait. I sent my suit back to them for a leaky zipper and it took them nearly 2 months to fix it and get the suit back to me. They do good work but they take forever. One a lighter note the suit had been checked by them several months prior to this last ordeal and they said it checked good. They offered to replace both the neck a wrist seals and find and fix the leak free of charge sinse they missed it the first time around. It did cost me $14 for shipping and handling though but I thought that was a reasonable price for the new seals and the time they took.

Padipro:
If you send it back to Whites for repair be prepaired for a very long wait. I sent my suit back to them for a leaky zipper and it took them nearly 2 months to fix it and get the suit back to me.
Oh, I wish you hadn't said that. Mine is there right now for a zipper repair, so I'm using the leaky back-up suit. :frown:

Thanks for the responses yall. Questions,

One way I can figure to do a leak check on this valve is to put it on with everything hooked up and jump in a pool, swim around without putting any air in it, and get out. If I'm wet, its something else. If not, get back in and put some air in the suit. If I'm wet its the valve. This is a pretty stiff valve. Not sure how to do a leak check if I don't have anything to pres against.

It's a Si-tech valve. How do I take it apart?

I would rather not send it back to Whites if I don't have to.

Thanks,

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
... It's a Si-tech valve. How do I take it apart? ...
You normally don't have to completely disassemble the valve, just screw the back (inside the suit) part off to remove from the suit & let it soak like that, operate the button a few times to let the crud-eating vinegar get inside the valve.
There are several different designs of the valves, usually you'll need to unscrew a retaining nut or bolt to get the innards out. The non-swiveling valves you can see right in to where the seat is. The swivel valves need a large thin wall socket to get inside.
If it's still leaking after the vinegar soak, you may just want to replace the valve because finding replacement parts will call up your "backyard engineering" skills.
New inflator valves run about $65 - $75, give or take a bit.

I had a leaky inflator valve once and I just replaced the o-ring attached with a C-clip and it worked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom