Leaking Recsea Housing for Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just checked my recsea 95 housing and the screws seem fine. I just got back from a trip where I did 60 dives and had no problems at all.

Was thinking maybe the port may have taken a hard enough knock to loosen it like that if the threads are actually stripped. Perhaps in the rinse tank or getting in and out of the water. Those are the most perilous moments for housings in use.

It's interesting that you asked about what attachment lens I am using - I didn't think about this as a factor, but you may be right. I am using Dyron fish-eye lens which is rather heavy. And it doesn't have bayonet adapter, which means longer time getting it screwed on and off, and perhaps this is putting even more stress on the housing barrel.

The screw threads seem to be fine. I think I'll wait doing anything about them until I talk to Scott - maybe the housing should be sent back to the manufacturer for the inspection.

I am in touch with Natali, and I'll examine the housing when she returns from her trip and also have Recsea look at to determine what happened. It's always difficult to speculate based on photos.

Anytime someone floods a housing / camera, especially a customer, it is a sad event, and we are keen to find out exactly what happened.

The only similar case that I know is when a customer had a fisheye lens on, and their fisheye lens got hit hard (taken a hard knock).

Scott

I got a replacement housing from Scott (BluewaterPhoto). They sent it to RecSea, but so far don't have any comments from the manufacturer on what may have been the cause.

I know I'll be checking the lens barrel frequently to make sure it's not getting loose!

Hi all

I have a RecSea Housing for my S95 and murphy's law applied with no mercy: a flood only happens with your camera inside.

It got turned into a fish tank 2 times !!! :furious:
I' m very paranoiac when it comes to cleaning and maintaining
my gear so I simply couldn't understand why this was happening.:confused:

Until one of my dive buddies observed that I started having these
problems since I bought a tray.

There are 2 issues: warpage, door displacement

warpage!Yes, housings DO WARP, which is a real issue for Ikelite owners, but
also aluminum housings warp to a certain extent.

Attention must be payed to how much torque you apply when you
screw the tray on your housing, specially if the tray flexes too....:shakehead:

However I don't think this is what happened to me....

door displacement!
This can be tested:

Remove the o-ring, close and lock the door. Now try to move the door in all
directions.

Mine does move which is the proof that the door is not kept in place by
mecanical means, i.e. hinge and lock, but with the o-ring!!!

Huh???? Hinge and lock do not keep the door from moving? :facepalm:

you wouldn't build a submarine like that, would you ?

THIS IS A DESIGN FLAW!
An o-ring should be used for tighteness only NOT for mecanical stability!!!!

What are the consequences?

Some trays have a backing to which you can push the camera
to keep it parallel to the tray. While you screw it to the housing
you may inadvertantly apply a pressure on the lower part of the door
and you will squeeze the o-ring but relief it on the upper side!

1/10 of a mm is enough and bye bye camera, mine flooded at 6 m (18 ft)! :redhot:

Conclusion:

KEEP THE DOOR OFF ANYTHING!

If the tray has a backing, use a washer to keep the housing above the hight of the
backing such that the door is not touching ANYTHING!

I will make some test dives to proof my door theory.I know , I know. nothing will happen until I
have a new camera...

SUGGESTED DESIGN CHANGE:

I'm not a mecanical engineer, but I could imagine some pins on the door that
fit some holes in the housing to prevent the door from moving no matter what!

I already addressed this to bluewaterphoto.com , where I bought the housing.

I'd rather have a thiker housing, but tranquility of mind.

Miguel

Sorry to hear about this happening to you. I've got the same housing and would be interested in what tray you were using. I've noticed the door moving when o ring is out, too.

I found more and will take pictures.

thanks. I bought a universal tray from a german website. I will post a picture.

Back
Top Bottom