Leaking Recsea Housing for Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A quick update...

Jovic at Splash Photography in Manila tested my housing, attached to the original Ultralight tray at 60m overnight.. it did not leak. As a precaution, we changed the tray to a straight Ultralight tray, which does not impinge on the back door of the housing. The housing has not leaked since (60 to 70 dives).

This would seem to suggest that the problem was caused by the original Ultralight tray supplied and recommended by Cameras Underwater in London. I must admit, I am still surprised that this could so disastrously affect the functioning of a quality housing. I have written to Recsea to gauge their response. To me it seems that if tray selection is so critical, a quality manufacturer ought to either produce their own compatable kit, or at least supply a recommended list from others.

So in the end, despite losing two cameras and the first three weeks of my photo trip, I did eventually get to grips with the S95.. and managed a few good (for me!) shots on which to build. Many than ks to you all for your advice and help. In addition, a big thank you to Jovic for the five hours he spent with me aming sure I could assemble and use my new set up (unlike Cameras Underwater, who seemed to just want my money). If you are in Manila, check him out, you will not be disappointed...

I am so glad to hear that for whatever the cause, you have it behind you and have had some good experiences and made a new friend.

But, just for future reference, if the housing door is touching something solid, like a tray or whatever it might be, you are asking for a leak.

N

Great Feedback! I really appreciate it when someone follows up on their issues and takes time to share their findings. Not many people do this.

I also have a Recsea Housing for my S95 with a Fisheye lens from Dyron. Nice unit but heavy with the Sea and Sea 110 alpha strobe and Ultralight Arms and tray. I did order another strobe to balance out the exposure and some floats to help with the weight.

Feedback: I found that I was trying to light up too much of the subject with just one strobe resulting in a lot of overexposures to one side of the subject (rookie mistake). Also the balance was a little difficult with the unbalanced weight of having only one strobe. As a result, focus issues became a problem shooting in strong current over in Palau. Also, one strobe was definitely not enough when I was shooting on the wrecks at Truk. I was doing penentration dives and it was definitely dark inside. (Highly recommend both dive locations).

I don't like not having TTL when in manual mode with the Canon S95 (personal preference as a newbie). I found that the Olympus that I was using in Grand Cayman with some courses through Cathy Church was a nice setup. The TTL worked in manual mode with the EPL-1 that they had and the images came out pretty good. The housing for it actually was positive and they had to add a small weight to it even with the Ultralight Arms. The cost with the extra macro port was comprable to what I had spent on my set up.

The Meltdownman

If shooting with one strobe, it is a common mistake to have it side mounted leading to strong shadows and overexposure on the one side. What works better is to mount it high and central. That way you're really replicating the angle the sunlight comes down from and will experience less harsh shadows and more even exposure. It kinda looks more natural. (I can't afford 2 strobes as yet!).
:(

Hey.. If anyone is looking for another strobe.. Splash Photography in Manila will supply an Inon Z240 for a little over £400 .. I paid nearer £700 in the UK.. shipping is $50.. I was a little peeved when I was there with my housing to find this out LOL!! Might be of use to those of you looking for a second... I have a two week trip to Thailand at the end of the month, primarily for a friends wedding, so can do a little more practice with my current set up.. but will look to get another strobe before my next long trip next year.. :)

Hi,

I though I'll add my leaking REcSea s95 housing here. Just flooded today my camera ;-(. AFter the close inspection it turned out that a few screws that hold the lens barrel (they are on the inside of the camera) got loose and the lens barrel came loose. I tried to put the screws back, but the moment you try to hold the housing by the lens barrel it came slightly detached. It seems the screws that are holding it are too short. Very strange (and sad). Wondering in anybody had similar issue.

Hi Natali,

Can you post some photos of the problems? Was the flood catastrophic (killed your camera) or just evidence of moisture? Would very much like to know what happens and the eventual diagnosis and corrective measures.

What kind of add-on lenses and adapters do you own/use?

Attaching here pictures of my RecSea housing that flooded my camera. When inspecting the problem I noticed that when I held the camera by the lens barrel it was wigging. When I pulled slightly I could see it came a few mm away from the body of the housing in one spot. When I then looked inside I saw one screw completely came out from it's hole (but was still inside the barrel), and 3 more partially came out.

When I tried to screw them back in, it all seemed fine till I wiggled the lens barrel, pulling it slightly from outside - the screws came loose again.

I hope Scott from Blue Water Photography will get back to me on this problem. I got my housing from him in January. I haven't seen anything about the need to inspect or tighten these screws between the uses of the camera, so it seems like this may be a defective one. It worked well for 1 dive trip (15 dives), and on the second day of the second trip flooded my camera.

Attachments

• RecSea s95 lens barrel inside view screws got loose.jpg
    RecSea s95 lens barrel inside view screws got loose.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 288
  • RecSea s95 leaking lens barrel - outside view.jpg
    RecSea s95 leaking lens barrel - outside view.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 289
Thank you for posting photos Natali,

I hope Scott can help resolve the problem. Are the screw threads still good indicating the screws simply "backed up" ? If that were so, perhaps a little loctite would have prevented the problem. That would be much better than the threads beings stripped.

I have the FIX S90 that shares many simlar details and manner of construction. I also have a INON UFL165AD that I use with it. It can be quite stressful "weight-wise" on this same port.

What wet lenses and adapters do you use with the housing?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom