Leak Testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flatfoot40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any good places in the Chicago area to leak test a drysuit. I bought a used Andy's drysuit. The seals, and zipper appear to be in good condition, however, I would like to get the suit leak tested before I jump in 45° water to find out it leaks. :shocked2:

Turn the suit inside out, zip it up, put in about 3-5 gallons of water, then clamp off the seals (or use suitably sized plastic bottles), then start swishing the water around. Any leaks will show up as wetness. Mark with chalk, then seal with aquaseal. If the zipper's leaking, that'll be a bit harder to fix.

If the suit has hard boots, just turn the legs inside out as much as possible.

Not sure where exactly you are in the Chicago area, but you could go to Haigh Quarry. It's probably only an hour away from you, and it's a great place. There are always lots of people, a good food stand, and the water's very warm right now. The viz is bad because of the algae bloom, but at least it's not cold!

Can it also be tested by inflating the dry suit and them putting water, either with a hose or spray bottle to see if the are any air leaks?
I am getting ready to test a DUI TLS 350, that was my idea,
Thanks.

OK, I did the water test today, too. Turned the DS inside out, put way more than 3-5 gals in it, etc. no leaks. So that appears to be a very good test. thank you.

I think if I were to test one I would want it on and test in a local pool. That way any leaks will be warm water and you will see how the neck and wrist seals are.

Are there any good places in the Chicago area to leak test a drysuit. I bought a used Andy's drysuit. The seals, and zipper appear to be in good condition, however, I would like to get the suit leak tested before I jump in 45° water to find out it leaks. :shocked2:

Zip the suit, close the exhaust valve, plug the wrists and neck with plastic bottles, inflate it until it's pretty stiff, then spray the entire outside with a soap bubble solution (kid's "bubbles" work well, as does dish washing liquid and water) and look for bubbles.

Make sure you rinse it off with clean water when done.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom