Leak in DSS Bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marvel

Just me
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went diving today & discovered that my wind had sprung a leak. Little slit approximately 1/8". The bladder material is urethane, according to the DSS website. Can this be repaired? If so, anybody know the best way to do it? Tobin? :D

Yes, it can be repaired ... a small hole can be aquasealed. Or you can put a small urethane patch on it. Might be worth just getting a new bladder though ... the new ones are much heavier and more durable than the originals. They're pretty easy to replace ... Lynne just replaced hers (formerly mine) a few weeks ago.

I'd recommend dropping Tobin a PM and see what he recommends ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had a small leak where the wing got pinched between my reg and backplate (I've since learned not to let resort staff try to assemble my gear. They actually seem confused for a second now when I wave them off.)

This was about a year ago. My cut was about the same size as yours. I used a bit of aquaseal and haven't had a problem since.

Aquaseal applied & drying. Got a PM from Tobin, too. I'll send it back for the heavier replacement bladder as soon as I can spare a week from diving.... :fruit:

I had a very very small hole in my Halcyon Pioneer. My LDS had an OMS patch kit with all the supplies you need (aquaseal, different sized patches, cleaner / activator) for about $28 Cdn.

HTH.

Bjorn

radinator:
I had a small leak where the wing got pinched between my reg and backplate (I've since learned not to let resort staff try to assemble my gear. They actually seem confused for a second now when I wave them off.)

This was about a year ago. My cut was about the same size as yours. I used a bit of aquaseal and haven't had a problem since.

radinator; The urethane bladder inside an outer shell is very old technology. This type of BC can be patched and repaired w/o any real problems.

jeckyll:
I had a very very small hole in my Halcyon Pioneer. My LDS had an OMS patch kit with all the supplies you need (aquaseal, different sized patches, cleaner / activator) for about $28 Cdn.

HTH.

Bjorn

A bicycle patch kit works well too (the vulcanizing type)...you can put a coat of aquaseal on it for good measure.

Dave

Yep, Tobin offers at least the single wing bladder in a couple of thicknesses.. I think its like 12mm and 22mm. You can definitely patch a small leak, but I found his price on the thicker bladder quite reasonable. You should check with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom