Leak from tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This doesn't exactly qualify as a near miss. I'm asking for opinions here.

Saturday night I went out on a boat that insisted that they provide the tanks (we couldn't bring our own).

The tank valve was leaking slightly (I use baby shampoo for my mask and slung my mask over the valve and soap bubbles formed or I wouldn't have noticed it).

I pointed it out to the captain who said he would have a dive master "assess" it and tell me if it was ok.

I said I was not diving that tank, no matter what the assessment turned out to be.

Opinions? Was I over-reacting or did I make the correct call?

Not over reacting. Why would one dive with a piece of equipment that you know is not working properly. There are too many other things that CAN happen.

Was the leak in the valve/tank area or valve outlet?

Correct call.
Like I used to tell tech inspectors when they told me I could fly a helicopter that had a "Red X" in the log book, "Then put on a flight suit and get on board!"

Let the DM dive the tank.

You paid for properly functioning gear and that is what you should have been supplied.

It's not that uncommen for yoke fittings to be leaking slightly, especially on dive boats. The more we complain, the better the equipment would be, good job.

Sometimes leaks get worse but they usually don't get better. LOL

Thanks. Captain sort of indicated I was over-reacting. At the time, I didn't care and now that I have your support, I won't care what the captain thinks if it happens again.

The leak was where the valve screws onto the tank.

sea nmf:
The leak was where the valve screws onto the tank.

Very good call, sea nmf!!

a leak between the valve and tank means the O-ring isn't sealing properly. When O-rings aren't sealing, they extrude, which leaves you in an out of air situation with no reg or octo. I wouldn't dive with someone who wanted me to ignore a problem like that, be it the captain, DM, or my buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom