Leak from tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kracken:
Correct call.
Like I used to tell tech inspectors when they told me I could fly a helicopter that had a "Red X" in the log book, "Then put on a flight suit and get on board!"

Let the DM dive the tank.

You paid for properly functioning gear and that is what you should have been supplied.

Nothing motivates an A&P like the promise of a check ride.....

Tobin

Your life, your air, your decision. If the DM says it OK, let him dive it. In the Airborne, we had the right to reject a parachute and have the person who packed it jump it. Kept them paying attention.

A leak from a valve due to a worn valve seat would be nothing to worry about.

A leak from a valve fitting, where the valve is screwed into the tank IS something to worry about.

Good call, I wouldn't have used the tank either. As a matter of fact, I would have kept my distance from the tank. Is the leak from a bad O-ring, or from a crack in the neck of the tank? That tank should have been removed from the deck, drained, and sent for inspection. Anything less taken as an action with regards to this tank is reckless and irresponsible.

Diver0001:
Out of curiosity did you ask the DM what he thought?

R..

I didn't follow-up with the DM. It was crystal clear to them that I didn't really care what they thought, I wasn't diving with that tank. (I just was checking with you guys to make sure I wasn't a COMPLETE jerk.)

He switched out my gear to a new tank and the tank strap wasn't properly secured. I knew to check it as my particular BC has that problem. It happened to be a 75' night dive that I was going to do so I really didn't want extra stuff to worry about.

Your call and if you are comfortable with it then you made the right one. But I've noticed that a leak of that nature is pretty comon in Cozumel. It's more like a fizz with a failry steady stream of very small bubbles. If the valve was torqued down correctly on the tank thenI don't think it can extrude. But it does indicate an o-ring that is deteriorating and it will just get worse, but that should not happen quickly. Those that I have seen seem to be leaking very slowly - on the order of a couple hundred psi a day. I usually don't notice them until they are in the water and have never seen a problem with them.

awap:
But it does indicate an o-ring that is deteriorating and it will just get worse, but that should not happen quickly. Those that I have seen seem to be leaking very slowly - on the order of a couple hundred psi a day. I usually don't notice them until they are in the water and have never seen a problem with them.

Shouldn't happen quickly but can! I've had an o-ring go on me during a night dive . ..I don't remember even hearing a leak before the dive and always check the o-ring visually anyway now.

Honestly, that may have been intentional...

There are some pretty unscruplous dive boat operators, not many thank god, and they will do anything they can to shorten the dives. Black tanks in the hot sun, etc...

Remember a lot of them get paid by the dive, and if they can get you through your two tanks and get you back to shore early enough, they can pick up another charter.

I didn't come up with this one, I had a drunken charter boat captain explain this to me a long time ago.

On ourfirst certified dive in Florida, my buddy a a very slow stream of bubbles coming form the area where the valve and tank meet. I pointed it out to the DM down with us who gave us the ok sign. In all respects this DM was thorough, pre-briefed us, kept an eye on us, etc. Having read this thread it is hard to know if a slow stream of bubbles would dictate calling the dive or not. Being new to this sport, it is hard to know what to think of these "problems"

if you drain a tank all the way this can happen.
this tank must have a VIP before it can or
will be filled by all shops .
that or replace the o-ring .
you made a good call

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom