Lead weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crass3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I was reading in the DIY forum that lead shot from ammunition can be used/same thing as the lead in soft weights? Is this true? Is there any difference between the lead in soft weights and the lead that the environmentalists get all bent out of shape about? Is this the same kind of lead that we shouldn't be exposed to? I always thought it must be some compound that was safe. Is the lead in soft weights the same kind of lead that is in lead paint, etc. ???? I've always wondered why when you wash soft weights it the water turns white. Is this the bad kind of lead? Please tell me it's not.

Yes, it's the very same kind of lead. Lead neurotoxicity concerns are greatest with children (especially those under 6) as their brains are still developing. However, even as an adult you should still use caution. Always thoroughly awash your hands after handling lead weights. The white water you see is the same makeup as was used as in the original lead paint pastes.

Lead is lead, as far as I know no difference between lead shot ammunition and the stuff in soft weight pouches.

To be poisoned you need to ingest the lead, so don't drink the water that you wash your weights in.

If you are really concerned have a doctor take a blood sample and have it tested for basophilic stippling in your neutrophils and blood lead levels.

For weight purposes it is all the same. I mad two big ingots for my weight pockets by collecting splattered bullets at the business end of the range and melting them down. All the rock, copper jackets, ect. float to the top.

Use solid weights, they release less lead into the ecosystem. Solid lead has less surface area than thousands of pellets which constantly rub against each other making lead dust which is the white in the water when you rinse. The solid weights get a patina and decreases the lead loss, and if you coat them it reduces the problem further.

As with lead paint, unless you eat it, or sand it releasing lead into the air that you breathe, the chances of harm are small.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
... you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
Harry Calahan

I use soft weights, but I pack them with Foodsaver plastic vacuum bags. Double packed as the outer bag eventually leaks and has to be replaced. It effectively seals the lead away from the environment and most important from the rinse tank.

Yes it's the same stuff. Rigged properly solid lead is perfectly comfortable making soft weights a pointless diversion. Solid weights are a forever items with very low tocicity dure to less surface area an the lack of self abrasion. Go coated and they are totally benign.

Pete

I suppose if you cared you could try coating the shot in plastidip.

I suppose if you cared you could try coating the shot in plastidip.

I think that has been tried commercially. By the time they got a robust coating on each pellet the volume got out of control.

Back
Top Bottom