LE Proton Breathing Noise???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior25

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a LE Proton Metal and when i am inhaling i get a strange harmonic resonance. It happens above water and below water, if i inhale very deeply it will be louder, vibrate slightly and have a little resistance. Should i be worried and send it back, get it serviced, or will it go away?

I am new to diving and have read all over the forum to try and find the answer but can only seem to find similar symptoms while people exhale. Any advice would be appreciated.

Junior,

The sound you are probably hearing is a natural noise, often called harmonics. Of course I can't really diagnose your regulator properly over the internet. If it is simply harmonics, I would take it back to the store you purchased it from and ask them to take a look at it. Often simply flipping the spring adjacent to the 2nd stage LP seat will make this noise go away. It is not considered a performance issue, rather an annoying sound (this can occur in all regulators). The LE regulator also has a tuning screw for properly adjusting the DFC (this is for a tech); I would also have them look at that. General rule of thumb is to gently screw it in all the way, then back out 1/2 a turn.

I hope this helps. I am sure once you get this sound worked out you'll love this reg. It is a high performance breathing regulator.

Best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom