LDS vs. Online - sorry to beat a dead horse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
I know, I know, another old battered topic. But it is hitting really hard right now. The ethical dilemma that I am facing today is a real bear and I would like to hear your comments (and maybe justify my actions).

I am just getting back into diving and have been purchasing equipment. I refuse to shop at a LDS then hunt down the same products online just to cut costs. But there has got to be a breaking point.

So there I was, talking tanks with the owner of a lds that I really like. While I was there I asked about knives and he showed me a neat little knife. But I wasn't there to buy knives and I left. While browsing the Internet I found the exact same product for half price. I felt guilty purchasing this knife online, and ended up going back to the LDS. When I asked for a price break I got the guilt treatment. "I have to pay for lights, a/c, answer questions", etc etc etc. I bought the knife but hate the feeling that I have been taken for a ride.

So, how do I justify to myself that I haven't been ripped off by the LDS? How do I find gear that I like for a good price without the guilt of driving my LDS out of business? What are your thoughts?

Joe

Our thoughts don't matter. What does matter is how you make your decision based upon your personal and business ethics.

I know Kracken. I just hate feeling like I am abandoning a good beginning to this diver/dive shop relationship by purchasing online. I hate to feel ripped off though. And that is what I get when I buy full retail off the shelf.

I guess I will have to limit my interaction with them so that I don't become a burden upon the business (shop time, talk time).

Joe

The Kracken:
Our thoughts don't matter. What does matter is how you make your decision based upon your personal and business ethics.
Why does this particular question become one of ethics? I looked at new Corvettes once. I didn't buy one. Was this unethical? After all, the car dealer is open to the public and they don't expect that everyone that enters is leaving with a new car. Why are dive shops any different? First, prices in every LDS I've been in are negotiable, at least to a point. While I wouldn't haggle over the price of a two lb weight I probably would over a dive knife at double it's online price. Is there some value being provided here simply by having this item on display that warrants 100% markup? So what if he has bills to pay and expenses related to running a retail business. He might have ocean front property to pay for as well. Is that your concern? The sooner these "poor me" bad role model business men belly up, the better it will be. Maybe the next guy will remember what customer service and value are.

Well JJ
I do know what you mean, although I will buy certain small non-life supporting items online. That’s about the only way that I can continue to dive while maintaining a tight budget. I would prefer to just go down to the LDS walk in and say what do we have today folks but I can't right now. I don't feel bad about it they still get the majority of mydiving budget just not all of it.

JustJoe:
I guess I will have to limit my interaction with them so that I don't become a burden upon the business (shop time, talk time). Joe

Any business that considers a customer to be a burden deserves to go broke in spectacular fashion.

JustJoe:
I know Kracken. I just hate feeling like I am abandoning a good beginning to this diver/dive shop relationship by purchasing online. I hate to feel ripped off though. And that is what I get when I buy full retail off the shelf.

I guess I will have to limit my interaction with them so that I don't become a burden upon the business (shop time, talk time).

Joe

And he probably hates to be ripping you off. So if he can't be more competative in price, why don't you buy elsewhere so you won't make him feel bad.

Your first and foremost financial responsibility is to your family and yourself.

If you feel that, by reviewing products at the LDS and then buying on-line, you are doing a disservice to the LDS then that is a quandry which you and you alone, based upon your personal ethics, can solve.

You will hear arguments from both sides here.

The Kracken has it right.

Personally, though, if it is something that I must touch and feel to make a purchase decision, I find it unethical go to a LDS, try it on, then use that information to go to the web and undercut the LDS that I used as a storefront.

Otherwise, it's a free market, and the lowest total price gets my $.

On big ticket stuff, I usually give our LDS a last chance to match the price, or get close.

All the best, James

I guess if the owner was a jerk it would be easier. And I don't have problems buying online. I do have an issue with being "turned on and tuned in" to a cool product and then going online to buy it.

When I told him that I could get it for half price, he showed me his invoice and he was paying more for the product than the online cost. I asked him if maybe he should buy online as well.

BTW, he didn't apply any pressure about buying from him (that came from me). He actually said I should buy it online. But he is my turn to expert for gear when I need it. And in the long run, I think I would be worse off without his shop here.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom