LDS Scams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welshman:
How old are you?!?!?!
Old enough to have a sense of humor. Sorry, I'll refrain from trying to make jokes to lighten things up...

Karl-

Nice write up, but to be fair you should add in the O2 anaylizer costs for the nitrox fills. They do let you use theirs as part of the price.

cornfed:
Old enough to have a sense of humor. Sorry, I'll refrain from trying to make jokes to lighten things up...

Darn, I'd hate to see you do that. Plus, it would probably destroy your rather impressive 5.15 posts per day statistic.

chrpai:
Karl-

Nice write up, but to be fair you should add in the O2 anaylizer costs for the nitrox fills. They do let you use theirs as part of the price.

(1) its lost in the noise, and (2) I need it anyway, since I dive Nitrox and may be somewhere that I need to verify a tank. If I had no desire to verify gas mixtures outside of owning a compressor, I'd agree with you.

(In point of fact, I owned the analyzer for over six months before buying the compressor setup.... and you can build one - as I did - for under $100)

Karl,

I feel you have only scratched the surface. (But it was a good move to build traffic to your site :D )

I didn't see the cost of space (what is retail going now for /ft2???).

I don't see the cost of electricity... for the lights as well as the the pump.

I don't see the cost for banking the air, the costs for all of the tubing, manifolds, multiple whips, pressure guages, pneumatic handlers, tanks etc. etc.

Now how long does t take your $2500 compressor to fill a tank? You must figure in employee time to watch it fill. Now we also have employee time to handle the tanks... sign them in and out, explain what and why for the tanks, etc.etc.

Now it's a good start, but you need to fill it out some more to make it relevent.

NetDoc:
Karl,

I feel you have only scratched the surface. (But it was a good move to build traffic to your site :D )

I didn't see the cost of space (what is retail going now for /ft2???).

I don't see the cost of electricity... for the lights as well as the the pump.

I don't see the cost for banking the air, the costs for all of the tubing, manifolds, multiple whips, pressure guages, pneumatic handlers, tanks etc. etc.

Now how long does t take your $2500 compressor to fill a tank? You must figure in employee time to watch it fill. Now we also have employee time to handle the tanks... sign them in and out, explain what and why for the tanks, etc.etc.

Now it's a good start, but you need to fill it out some more to make it relevent.

Actually, you did see the cost for electricity. I itemized it. The 10hp motor dwarfs the couple of flourescent tubes.

As for banks, not all shops have them. I don't. The whips and such are included in my hardware costs.

Nor do you NEED an employee to watch it fill - you can either pay a staff member, or you can use automation (e.g. a Tascom regulator or, for a direct fill, a final-pressure switch)

Retail space? Most of the compressors I've seen aren't in the "retail" part of the space; indeed, out of the shops around here, none of them have their compressors in that part of their space. Two have them outdoors (for real) in what would otherwise be "parking lot" space.

The numbers are real Pete, as is the actual output and costs. I've got a spreadsheet going back to my acquisition of the equipment.

Genesis:
http://www.scubaforum.org/cgi-scuba/akcs-www?post=9

Its all laid out right there for 'ya Pete. Computed down to the cf, and including the cost of the compressor with an amazingly-pessimistic set of assumptions.

BTW, the Alkin I own is continuous-duty rated. Unlike the little Bauers and Coltris, it is a low-RPM (900) unit that doesn't overheat if you run it for four or five hours at a time, or even longer. Indeed, it is the only small unit that can be used to fill a bank - which is why I bought it.

A couple of problems with you're analysis...just camparing it to mine off the top of my head.

1, My compressor cost twice what yours did and you didn't buy any bank tanks, HP hose at $4/foot or a manifold. In short my system cost more like 4 times what yours did and it's a small set up.

2, My filters are more and there are two non including the hyperfilter.
3, You're not paying for air testing.
4, You didn't for insurance.
5, You're assuming no repairs other than scheduled maintenance.

Also you didn't include any fixed burdens or labor costs.

I had almost $1000 in repairs last year and it would have been much more if I hadn't have done some of it myself. I still have a gauge out on one stage and my over pressure switch took a dump and needs to be replaced. Shoot I didn't sell enough air to even pay for the repairs.

Now the whole thing is at home and it's worth it for the convenience because I dive a lot of trimix and I'm the only one within 100 miles who has it. Oh but now that it's home I had to heat the garage so the thing is costing me a bunch even when I don't dive. I have news though when I'm going to do a plain old air dive at a place that has a fill station I let them fill my tank for $5 so I can keep the hours off my machine.

Genesis,

You still have to calculate employee time in to make it relative even if the employee isn't hovering over the machine. If it was a shop and that employee wasn't lugging tanks to the compressor and hooking them up or handling the customers coming in for fills he/she could be handling customers that were making other purchases or you might be able to reduce your staff.

So you figure here at the inland shop they might do at best 50 paying fills a month (most fills are for classes). That would equal about $250 a month gross off the compressor. They would have to account for the intangables of having onsite air for classes and they can't get a lot of dealerships if they don't have air so the benefit of having the dealership has to be factored in, but, still $250 bucks a month gross from the compressor. That sounds like a loss leader to me.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom