LDS gear packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How did you aquire the gear for your first set up?

New?
Used?
Package?
Piece by piece?

I am a soon to be certified diver looking at getting my first set of gear. This would consist of BCD, reg, octo and gauges of course. My first several dives will be in Key West and Gulf Shores, AL but we will be doing some local stuff here in the midwest eventually too. I would love to get to the point where I am diving a couple of times a month on average.

My LDS has some packages that they offer discounts on, as I am sure most shops do. I would love to give them my business because they are great folks.

Do you guys reccomend packages for newbies just starting out or would you reccomend renting at first and piecing together an ala carte set overtime?

I have priced one of their basic set with a few upgrades:

Sea Quest Pro QD BCD (upgraded)
Atomic Z2 reg (upgraded)
Sea Quest Airsource3 (upgraded)
Suunto 2 guage console

Individually, this would be $1445. That is at their list prices, you could probably find it cheaper online.

As a package they are asking $1212.

I know this is probably overkill for a newbie, but I tend to overdo most things. :wink: Most of the upgrades were based on reviews and comments found here.

Would you have been happy with this set up when you started diving? If so, would you still be happy with it today? Is there any of it you could do without?

Also worth noting, my wife will be diving with me and is looking at the exact same package except with a Sea Quest Diva LX BCD. So any insights from the fairer sex would be appreciated as always.

Thanks

I dont think thats overkill, the set of gear I bought when I first started diving was around 2100. Just make sure you check diff. options as far as the bcs go. not all are made equal. Also I see that the package your looking at dosent come with a computer, that would be somthing I would deff. add to it.

Thanks for your input Daveo957. Did you get your first set right away or after you had been diving for a while?

The BC was recommended by the folks at the dive shop as an upgrade from the Lattitude XLT that comes with the base package. It should be also noted that the Pro QD I am looking at is not the new i3 model with the nice little up/down lever on the side (that's another $90 add). I am totally open to other models though. The LDS also carries Aeris BCDs.

As for computers vs gauges, that was a priority call on my part. The package listed fits in my budget, but adding a computer would likely mean having to downgrade one or more of the other peices to keep the overall cost about the same. I have read some threads on both sides of the debate and figured if I were going to wait on buying any one piece it would be a computer.

But that is why I posed the question, to get the advice of those who have walked this path before me.

Thanks again.

*knows full well this has been debated to death on this board, but worth repeating...*

I'd recommend the computer over upgrading something else, as the increased bottom time diving the computer would in my mind more than make up for the price difference. Time = money to me. :)

I have essentially the same setup as what you're looking at and I've been quite happy with all of it. One thing to look for on the Pro QD BC - make sure the weight pockets are the clip-in variety, not the velcro variety they stopped using a few years ago, after a few years of diving the velcro tends to let the weights go when you're not ready for it. (happened to me last weekend... grrr...)

When my husband and I got certified, I bought my gear piece by piece, including a used BC. I wound up replacing the BC (SeaQuest Diva) after less than 10 dives with a new one (Zeagle Zena) from ScubaToys where I had purchased my reg/computer set (Zeagle Envoy/Aeris AI). My husband bought his gear from the LDS as a package (SeaQuest Pro QD+, Legend reg, Pro+2 computer) and spent about $500 more than I. Four years later, he's replaced his BC and regs (Zeagle Ranger and Zeagle Flathead), as he found his original gear was not suiting him well.

It seems pretty typical that folks replace their first gear with different stuff as they become more experienced divers. The one piece of advice I'd give you about buying gear though is to make sure you've tried it in the water before you buy, particularly your BC. How if fits in the shop has nothing to do with the fit or performance in the water.

I'll piggyback on Mugbug's suggestion about the ProQD's weight pockets...even the clip in ones can "let go". We were on the third day of a liveaboard trip when one of my husband's weight pockets fell out at the start of a dive. He hadn't touched the pockets since the first day when he put the weights in, and apparently it had come loose somehow. We had to pay $25 to replace the pocket insert, hence one reason he went Zeagle...no inserts to lose!

A question...have you actually dived with the equipment that is offered in the package? Many shops will allow you to rent the same models of BCD's and regs they offer in their packages. If you have dived it and like it, then it's probably a good deal. However, I tend to shy away from investing in gear that I have not had the opportunity to try out first. We all have our likes and dislikes, and gear needs to fit well, both in physical dimensions as well as function. Being able to try it out a few times first can often save you frustration and disappointment later.

Do your research. Also, consider how much you will be diving. I bought my setup cause I was diving 1-2 times per week. I'd suggest forgetting about the BCD and getting a BP/W.

If you are taking your course through the LDS, or the LDS recommended local Instructor, you should be able to rent/use the gear (or similar) while doing your OW. I know I used rental gear for about 10 dives before deciding on the make/style that fit me better. IMO buy the gauges now and dive using the tables - you have to use them for OW anyways. The computer can wait, and after you do buy one, the gauges will be a back-up if your computer craps out. I ended up buying in stages - comfortable wet suit was the first purchase after my fins/mask combo. Good luck on your course - you're lucky to have a spouse that wants to dive too.

- you're lucky to have a spouse that wants to dive too.

It's even better than you think. Getting certified was actually her idea. :D

We are doing our cert. through our LDS. I will approach them about trying out some or all of the gear when we do our class.

Mudbug_CSD and DiveMaven - the weights pocket are clip locks Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Keep them coming.:)

I piecemealed everything, getting exactly what I wanted at the time, and everything came at a 10% discount since I was a former student, and some goodies were thrown in since I was spending the bucks (like a reg bag, dive log, retractors, etc). Ended up spending $2200 or so, but I am pleased with what I have purchased, to date.

I didn't buy until I had my c-card though...not that it would have made much difference because when I set my mind to something, it usually happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom