LCD monitor view finder on digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

la_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When taking pictures with digital cameras do you use the lcd monitor or turn it off and use the view finder. Main concern is the battery life in the camera. I realize that looking through the veiw finder is awkward. What type battery do most of you use and how often do you change the batteries out. thanks for the replies.

I always leave the LCD on so I can see whether I got the shot or not - one of the huge advantages with digital IMO.

I use aa NiMH batteries and can shoot 230+ shots (~ 2 hours diving) before changing. I use the same batteries in my strobes and usually only recharge them every other day - they last for ~4 hours of diving.

I guess another factor is also whether or not your camera permits "live view." In the DSLR format, live view is only now coming along, but with limitations, such as speed of focus and shutter lag. So if you're shooting a DSLR, using the LCD monitor may not even be an option! However, I shoot with an Olympus 5050 and I also have the option of turning the LCD off while I'm not shooting. There's great temptation to shoot everything and anything, but after a while of getting to know my gear I've gained some trigger discipline and I know what's worth shooting and what's worth letting go, so I don't always just leave the LCD on permanently. This ensures I'll have juice for dive 2 and possibly dive 3. :)

Livewire i just got a sea&sea dx5000g camera. it does have the power saver option. I have not dove with it yet but was just wondering about the battery life as would batteries need to be change after each dive while using the lcd. Iguess i just need to use it on landto figure out the battery life. i realize that the batery life is dependant upon the finger pushing the button.

Livewire - I also shoot with the Oly 5050 and it is extremely rare for me to end up with dead batteries even after 2 dives. I can't get 3 dives out of them though.

I have about a 3 minute delay before the lcd turns off but normally we fill up a 1g card on 2 dives. I'm still working on that trigger discipline thing :D

lol, you guys are funny. For the DX-5000G the only way you're gonna know how long the batteries will last is testing it out yourself. It's not just about the user, it's also the camera, and EVERY camera is different in this regard. Some even respond differently to different battery types. On my prior Olympus for example, the C-4000, I was getting better life out of the CRV-3 LiIon rechargeables than NiMh batteries, but on the C-5050 the NiMh batteries were much better.

The batteries I'm using in my C-5050 are Duracell Pre-charged Rechargeables (2000mAh). I used to use Energizer 2500mAh rechargeables, but I wasn't happy with their self-discharge rate. One day I tested with charged batteries and just started shooting while sitting in front of the TV. With LCD on, I got over 400 shots I think before the batteries ran out. That was more than plenty for me, as around here, it's two dives and done for the day usually. In the tropics I'm doing two to three dives, but i'm still not hitting that kind of limit in a day. Back to the room, charge up at night or when I get back to the room I swap for fresh ones. I'm shooting around 80 shots in a day on two dives. More if there's 3 dives.

The other problem for me if I make attempts at filling the memory card is that I miss stuff that happens on the dive. It's been more than once that I've been focused heavily on framing some shot of some coral or a sponge when a school of eagle rays has passed over my head and I didn't even know it until my buddies told me about it back on the boat. Or the time when I missed seeing a school of hundreds of jack whipping by behind me on a wall where I was all wrapped up trying to take a picture of this common nudibranch. Apparently they put on quite a show, but not for me. I had to have that stupid nudibranch photo. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom