LCD back or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that's one use that we can agree on especially if you are on a live aboard or remote location.

OK, a little humor, how would you use a LCD here on the end of a pole? IMHO a GoPro is for fun, I have a Canon for serious stuff.
Let's have FUN
[video=youtube_share;uC11H_ERaw8]http://youtu.be/uC11H_ERaw8[/video] [video=youtube_share;zfC_UIG9YWw]http://youtu.be/zfC_UIG9YWw[/video]

In this case the LCD would make no difference. I feel that even if you don't use the LCD, it is better to have it and not not need it vice nothing having it and needing it. A very good point by Jclifton...you can view play back with it.

Dauntless, very nice picture of the clown fish but the picture could have been the same without being upside down and with a LCD. It really is just a preference but I do not know of anyone that shoots profesionally that does not use a LDC or view finder.

the picture could have been the same without being upside down and with a LCD. It really is just a preference but I do not know of anyone that shoots profesionally that does not use a LDC or view finder.

Well, you couldn't take that shot unless you were upside down, it was just how the anemone and fish were situated :)

Not sure I know anyone that takes professional shots with a GoPro, well maybe snow skiers head or body mounts and mounted on Phantom quad copters, or maybe that guy that parachuted from a balloon from almost outer space and none of them would have use for LCD back, oh forgot about the GoPro that went down on the rescue carrier for those South American miners and pretty sure it didn't have an LCD either, maybe surfers can see the LCD when they "hang ten" :) Maybe someone can think of a professional application for GoPro where you could use a LCD, oh, yeah, the people that sell LCD backs, that's one.

Well, you couldn't take that shot unless you were upside down, it was just how the anemone and fish were situated :)

Not sure I know anyone that takes professional shots with a GoPro, well maybe snow skiers head or body mounts and mounted on Phantom quad copters, or maybe that guy that parachuted from a balloon from almost outer space and none of them would have use for LCD back, oh forgot about the GoPro that went down on the rescue carrier for those South American miners and pretty sure it didn't have an LCD either, maybe surfers can see the LCD when they "hang ten" :) Maybe someone can think of a professional application for GoPro where you could use a LCD, oh, yeah, the people that sell LCD backs, that's one.

The Intova comes out of the box with the LCD...no need to buy up and if you don't like it then turn it off. I have seen hundres of Clowns with anemones in Okinawa and never once was there a need to be upsidedown to get a picture or view them. I was just stating that I would rather have one than not. Now if we are talking about the additional cost of the LCD for the GoPro then I might not go for it....close to an extra hundred dollars.

I am a bit confused on the LCD. GoPro shows backordered vs discontinued and I've read the LCD attachment requires a different housing than the one that is used with the Hero3+. Any clarifications?
To use the LCD back, you need the old style (3) case. The 3+ case is smaller and also doesn't have the positive case lock. If you get the "limited edition" 3+ touchback, it comes with this case for the same price. Otherwise, the case is $39.95 on Amazon. Careful, because the ltd. edition also comes with a touch version of the case that has a thin film and is only good to 2 meters. My wife saw "waterproof" on it, took it to 200ft. and got a dark spot on the LCD from the pressure and a slight leak where her boltsnap had scratched it on a later dive. Use the one with the hard back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom