LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't see any SB'ers on Datura St yesterday. I would have gone to Hibisicus, but we were diving with Jack's (my 16 yr old) Venture Crew.

The Venture Crew decided to leave Melbourne at 7:30, but... I wanted to park near the beach, so Jack and I left at 5:30. I'm glad we did. When I arrived at 8:00, all the parking on both Datura and Hibisicus was gone, so we parked across the street. So, we weren't that far off of the beach. I'm glad I had Jack with me... he has a good strong back, and carried all the tanks.

When we arrived, the ocean was nearly flat. The waves at the beach were maybe 1 foot or a foot and a half. My concern was the water clarity. The water color at the beach appeared to be greenish brown. Were we ever fooled. It must have been the angle of the sun or something... We swam out to the first reef, and the entire kick out there, we could see the bottom. It looked crystal clear. We dropped down on the first reef, and we continued to leisurely kick east towards the second reef. We spent most of our time on the second reef until Jack started hit 1200 lbs of air. As we headed back, we hit the cannons and the anchor... so, we did an accidental good job of navigating. First dive was 72 minutes, max depth 17 feet, water temp was a nice 82 degrees. Visability ranged from 20-50 feet. The current was minimal.... I thought it was heading south while I was on the first reef heading back, and Jack thought it was heading north. I was navigating over the reef, and I had to keep readjusting to the right every time I checked my compass.

Jack's Venture Crew finally arrived as Jack and I were getting ready to do our second dive. So, we let them get set up. I was amazed by the number of tanks we had lined up along the wall. We had a lot of divers. Jack was assigned a buddy... and the group leader wanted me to hang out with her O/W class to add a third instructor in the water during the ascent skills. I wasn't too keen on the idea, because my plan was to improve my fish ID skills and to dive with Jack. Well... to my fortune, there was a new diver whose son and husband were doing the DPV Adventure dive... so, I was assigned to dive with the wife... So, off we went....

On the second dive, the current picked up. We swam out to the first reef, and headed against the current and went south. It was slow moving, but we were busy trying to ID fish... so, it really didn't matter. This time, my computer was registering 84 degrees. I hit it a few times, because it couldn't be right. I'll accept 82, but 84? Our second dive lasted 58 minutes. My buddy was diving with a 63, and she swam out to the first reef with her regulator in her mouth... We did see a huge turtle munching on some reef... That was my buddy's first turtle, so she was excited and made the entire trip worth while. The visability on the second dive was still real good. I'll still say 20-50 feet.

Now... the majority of the Venture Crew let the current take advantage of them. They were all pushed towards the pier... got the sheriff all upset... Some ended up on the other side of the pier... what a disaster. I'm sure the next crew meeting we're going to have a good long discussion about currents... dive planning... the importance of a compass... etc...

Al

I'll 2nd that North current!

I did a kayak dive early saturday morning off Oakland Ridges (between Oakland Park Blvd and Sunrise Blvd), started dive at 7:40am, and 2 hrs later it had moved me a good 1/2 mile north. Not quite ripping in the 15 ft I was in, but a steady drift nonetheless.

Al, glad you had a good time and some good dives. I skipped town and went west instead. Glad to hear the vis was good despite the green.

Scuba_Jenny:
Al, glad you had a good time and some good dives. I skipped town and went west instead. Glad to hear the vis was good despite the green.

I would have gone west, but Jack actually signed up for the LBTS dive without my arm twisting. So.. there was absolutely no way I'd say no to that. Jack is real quiet, and I have a real hard time getting him to commit to anything. So... when he signed up without my urging... I was shocked.

Yes I had a great dive... it was really funny to hear all the people who went down to the pier complain about the vis and stuff... Sandy, my dive buddy, looked at me and said... "I guess we had the best dive of them all!"

Al

Well, maybe next time we will get to dive together, and I promise I will help with the gear.
Now, as far as none of the Conchs showing up, I know of at least three that had previous plans.

Scuba_Jenny:
Well, maybe next time we will get to dive together, and I promise I will help with the gear.
Now, as far as none of the Conchs showing up, I know of at least three that had previous plans.

I usually wear my ScubaBoard T-shirt in case someone from SB is there. The SB shirt breaks down barriers. People see it and they immediately want to know who you are...

I think next weekend I'm going to dedicate myself to certifying Riley (my 11 yr old son). He's FINALLY finished with chapter 5.

All this chatting about LBTS makes me want to go back there.
'Tis the best beach dive I've been on so far.
(Marvel is sooooooooo lucky to live right there)
Can't wait until I can get back there.
Have soft plans for a trip down that way in mid July.Even though Tampa isn't that far it sure seems like it sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom