LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea? Our only ocean shore dives are from there, you'll love it.
1) Bring plenty of quarters for the parking spaces.
2) Drop by Fill Express on Dixie Highway and ask questions. Good fills, good people.
http://www.fillexpress.com
3) Bring a boogie board if the waves are up. It's a great spot on the surface, too.

Anyone have some surface interval restaurants to recommend? Cheap eats, sweet treats, something within walking distance of Datura Avenue or Washingtonia?

Bearmanatee:
Is it best to dive LDBTS during high tide this would be my first beach dive any info would be helpful
... what Trisha said plus we've never really found a big difference. I'd always dive a low tide earlier though than a high tide later... the water in the earlier morning is often smoother than late morning. Also, if you're in before 8AM you'll see more of the "night fish" still out (and they'll be groggy).

Advice... if you question whether you should go, don't. We really enjoy it when it's calm but when it gets stirred up it's much better to do a boat dive.

Gear up in the parking lot and then carry your fins right into the water... no sand. Same in reverse. In the water about low-chest deep, just fill your BC, put your mask on, and slip your fins on.

Then kick out a little past the "can" bouys and you should see the reef beginning (if you can't see then it's not a good day to be there). Drop down and continue until you KNOW you're on the first reef - there will be ledges announcing it. Turn north or south INTO the current and go slowly (you'll see a lot more going slowly). When you're ready to return, drift-dive with the current back. It's OK to pop up occasionally to see where you are because you'll only be in 15' of water if that.

I carry a snorkle on really clear days because it's often nice to save air and take it all in from the surface - you won't see the "detail" like eels or lobster peeking out but you'll see more real estate and larger critters (nurse sharks, rays, morays, etc.). If you don't "suck air" you'll have much more than an hour with an aluminum-80 anyway, so you can easily do TWO dives on one tank using my snorkle method (not recommended ANYWHERE but on this shallow dive, however).

There is another reef farther out, so you might do the close reef one way and the farther reef the way back; a common strategy especially if you're heading north (into the pier) first. The second reef line is out past a flat line of sand... you can't miss it. It's a little less haggard after the storms but you'll probably see most of your life on the first reef line.

You really don't NEED a surface interval since you won't be building nitrogen up at that pressure, but there are good "locals" places around the pier. They're all OK if not above average. My favorite is Athena's on the corner of US-1 and Commercial where they have a chopped Greek salad you can ask for - it's only on the dinner menu, but they'll know what you're talking about. Everything is good there, however.

Yup, you'll probably want to bring lots of quarters but, alternatively, you can drop your gear at the wall on Datura or Hibiscus, leave somebody to watch it, and vallet park at Aruba's on Commercial or lot-park at the pier. I'm not sure whether the pier parking lot is still open to the beach... they used to discourage beach-goers before the pier was closed, and it's open again.

Of course you'll need your flag.

There are lots of "group" dives here that you can learn about on this board. They love to see new blood especially if you bring a pineapple for after the dive! But don't forget a knife... LBTS divers don't usually carry them. Marvel lives RIGHT THERE on the beach and ScubaJenny is always looking for a dive buddy... she wears us down pretty quickly lol.

Have a blast! I hope the weather cooperates for your visit!

I'll be diving off of Datura St on Saturday. I'm planning on getting there around 8AM. I like parking up close. If you see a 16 yr old with nasty dreadlocks... that's my son... I'll be with him....

Jenny... are you diving this weekend?

Al

Would love to dive this weekend. Will know in a couple days if I can make it or not.

Scuba_Jenny:
Would love to dive this weekend. Will know in a couple days if I can make it or not.

I'm going to work on my worst skill. Fish iD. I'm hoping to get two dives in.

Al

Colin, you know I would love to go to Venice, but I just don't see how I can right now....

Guess I'll be around..... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom