LBTS Friday night dive 4/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
If we don't have a recap of last friday, I'll be out at LBTS around 8PM. I'll try to drag ScubaKev also. Anybody interested?

Any of you folks good at shrimp ID'ing? There is a particular shrimp that we are having some trouble with. The last trip presented us with skeleton shrimp, arrow shrimp, 2 other unidentified species, lots of bugs, and another unidentified fish. I would like to know what type of shrimp they are and will be spending most of my dive looking for them again (with 2:1 framer).

Cheers and I hope to see you on Friday,
Jamie

Heck Yeah! 8Pm is a little late for me, but as of this writing I am planning on going. Now, where are we meeting up?

Scuba_Jenny:
Heck Yeah! 8Pm is a little late for me, but as of this writing I am planning on going. Now, where are we meeting up?

Chez Marvel's? :wink: I'm in for sure!

Got a Hermit Crab keeper for the evening! Good to go! Getting gear ready now!

Kevin is a definate. I'm a definate. He's finishing his IDC tomorrow, so we'll be heading down after he is released. Marvel, he will be returning your towel tomorrow also.

Cheers and see yall later today.

I'll be there in spirit if not body. Have fun, and btw since I'm going to be there in spirit if not body I might as will bring along the spirits? What's the drink of choice? Is it Rum? :)

DiverG:
I'll be there in spirit if not body. Have fun, and btw since I'm going to be there in spirit if not body I might as will bring along the spirits? What's the drink of choice? Is it Rum? :)

Smirnoff Ice...

Looks like 8 PM at Marvels! Whoo Hoo! Complete with Rum Spirits!

The dive last night was great. Jenny, Kevin, & Jamie (Divesherpa) came over & my neighbor Jenny from across the street made the 5th diver.
Five of us went out & four of us saw lots of stuff. One (me) kept my light off 9/10's of the dive & just zoned out. I'll let the others tell you guys what they saw. We did manage to get split apart & came in separately. Me first, followed by the two Jennys followed MUCH later by the two guys. I'd say their air consumption rivals a certain Conchette that goes by the name of Jen-ny... :wink:

Awesome dive! I arrived at Marvels and we waited. And waited. Fiddled with gear. Ho hum. Sun going, going, gone. Moon out. Guys are no show. Put gear back in car. Breeze is a bit chilly. Oh well. Dang it was gonna be good.....
The guys show up and Marvel and I decide we will brave the cold and dive. Jenny2 decides to join us also. So we gear up and head out with the moon overhead leading the way. Simply beautiful. Picture a clear night with full moon radiating over calm water.
We decide to go down on the first reef and swim to the second, and go north. However once we descend we just go north. I kept my light on the whole dive, and was constantly losing my buddies who chose to turn the lights off instead of turning the light to themselves. Anyways, we meandered around looking for stuff. Kev found a tiny nudibrach which was correctly identified as "very small white thing." When he showed it to me, I thought it was a piece of fuzz or something until it moved. Then I saw another one nearby. cool. Also saw a basket star with a bunch of tentacles reaching out into the night. Didn't see many fish, but saw all kinds of shrimp, starfish, and file clams. Saw a beautiful and yet unidentified moray eel. I watched him for a while foraging amonst the rubble. He would disappear only to reappear a short distance away, apparently unconcerned about the light focused on him. He was very light olive brown, not speckled, but did have tiny spots/flecks. His tail was white with a black border, and the part on his back had a bright blue ridge. He was maybe 18"-22".
There was almost no current or surge at one time. I focused on remaing motionless, hovering above a coral head about 8" away. I was able to hang there moving only inches back and forth, up and down. Incredible. I love being weighted perfectly.
Oh, I was able to try out my "new" jetfins. Nice. Love them.
Jenny2 and I turned the dive at 700, coming in pretty quick. We were a little south of our exit point, but really was not any problem walking the short distance back to Marvel waiting on the beach.
Saw the lights from the guys still out there. Then nothing. Changed out of my gear and into land wear and went back down to the beach to see if the guys were around. Nothing. Finally, they appeared from the dark like creatures emerging from the deep. Late night. Good dive. So glad "we" changed our minds about diving. It was beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom