Layover in Japan (Narita) Airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karlomarx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, does anyone know if making a close connections at this airport is difficult?

I arrive in Japan (narita airport) at 505pm. I leave at 645pm to
Bangkok. Is 1hour 40mins ok?

On the return flights its just 55 min layover.

Am I cutting it too close on either flight?

Thanks guys!
Karlo

If it is the same airline that you are connecting to, I think it would be okay although the return connection looks unusually tight. If you have to go through security in a crowd, change terminals or check on again, you won't make it IMHO.

I travel to Japan 4-5 times a year. The airline staffs at Narita do a very good job of shepherding international transit travelers between gates but they can only do so much.

I agree with Zippsy's take on this. There are 2 international terminals at Narita. 1 hr 40 mins shouldn't be a problem on your outbound flight even if you have to change terminals but 55 minutes is cutting it mighty close even if you are on the same airline and don't have to change terminals on your return flight. Even if you are on the same airlines and don't have to transfer a minor delay might keep you from making your connection. If you are on 2 different airlines within the same terminal and you arrive on time you are probably OK but I wouldn't want to attempt it if you also have to switch terminals.

Rickg

55 minutes is tight if you need to change from Terminal 1 to 2 - shoudln't your travel agent have sorted this out for you though?

If your baggage is checked through from Bangkok to (I guess) Chicago then you should be ok - they will hold the plane for a short while for you - but if you have to collect it at Narita then you have no chance.

Ya, well I booked the flights in October and honestly didn't think too much about it :(. That being said...I leave Feb 14 and leave Bangkok on the 29th of Feb.

So you think I should try to change the return flight only?

Damn, I wish I thought this out before? I have time to make changes yes?

Thanks!

and Yes...I am flying United the whole way roundtrip....

it looks like United is in Terminal 1 South Wing.

Thu, Feb 14
12:52 PM to
5:05 PM
Arrive next day
Chicago-Ohare, IL (ORD) to
Tokyo, Japan Narita (NRT)
13hrs 13mins - nonstop
United
United Flight 883
Boeing 777 Jet - Economy

Stop - change planes in Tokyo, Japan Narita (NRT)
Connection Time: 1hr 40mins
Fri, Feb 15
6:45 PM to
11:55 PM
Tokyo, Japan Narita (NRT) to
Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)
7hrs 10mins - nonstop

Fri, Feb 29
6:40 AM to
2:15 PM
Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) to
Tokyo, Japan Narita (NRT)
5hrs 35mins - nonstop
United
United Flight 838
Boeing 747 Jet - Economy

Stop - change planes in Tokyo, Japan Narita (NRT)
Connection Time: 55mins
Fri, Feb 29
3:10 PM to 11:44 AM
Tokyo, Japan Narita (NRT) to
Chicago-Ohare, IL (ORD)
11hrs 34mins - nonstop

I think you'll be ok in this case. I would confirm with United customer service now - however you should be able to check your baggage all the way through and simply have to hop from one plane to another.

Since you're not changing in America, you won't need to go through a tiresome pointless immigration procedure during a transit so you should be fine. Neither terminal at Narita is so big that it can't be crossed in 10 minutes at a pinch - there are moving walkways you can scoot along at a fair pace if your first flight is delayed. Even if it is, United will be aware and probably hold the 2nd plane - I've seen this a few times.

Well being on the safe side...I changed it so now instead of a 55 min layover...its 3 hours. I just HATE rushing if for some reason the plane is late.

Eitherway I feel a tad better. Thanks for the help guys!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom