Layering wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you think it would be warmer to layer a 3mm shorty over or under a 3mm full?

Bringing both to Hawaii in November and don't anticipate needing the shorty but I have it, so why not?

So you are saying the shorty over the full suit is warmer than the shorty under the full suit?

I don't think it makes much of a difference. Although it would look better if the shorty was underneath imo:)

My wife layers a shorty over a farmer john (jane ?) when she wants additional warmth and lower leg protection. It works well for her.

I quite wearing shorty only due to problem of my shin skin exposure to the surrounding. When you do underwater photography, you want to minimize the distance between the lens & the object. Being closed to the object increase the chances of the exposed shin's skin to get brushed by hydroids & developed red-itchy bruises on the shins. So, I always wear the full wetsuit for skin protection & add shorty over the full if I feel cold after 3 days of 4x/day diving.

When diving in Hawaii and locations with similar water temps, my wife will wear a 3mm full suit and put a 3mm shorty over the top.
I asked if she has ever tried it in reverse and said, yes, it was just easier for her to don the shorty over the full. Hasn't noticed any difference in warmth.

Shorty is worn over the 3mm jumpsuit. It isn't practical nor comfortable to wear the shorty under the jumpsuit in my experience.

I dove in Hawaii in February in Kona and Maui and it was soooo cold, I wish I brought a semi-dry or drysuit. Definitely nothing less than 7mm suit with hood!! All other people that were with me on the trip had the same issues with the cold there. 3mm in any configuration won't be enough for me there during that time of the year.

Shorty is worn over the 3mm jumpsuit. It isn't practical nor comfortable to wear the shorty under the jumpsuit in my experience.

I dove in Hawaii in February in Kona and Maui and it was soooo cold, I wish I brought a semi-dry or drysuit. Definitely nothing less than 7mm suit with hood!! All other people that were with me on the trip had the same issues with the cold there. 3mm in any configuration won't be enough for me there during that time of the year.

I wore 2mm shorty over 5mm full + hood in Galápagos (61-72F water temperature)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom