Layering verses Full 5 mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dove the GBR this summer (winter in Australia), I did really well with a 3 mm wetsuit, lavacore full suit, and a hooded vest (I get cold easily, but I really didn't think I wanted the lack of flexibility that my 7 mm suit offers and I did not want to be a 5 mm wetsuit to add to the wardrobe).

Had similar problems with suits fitting but not quite right. Answer was a custom from Wetwear. I got the cave/wreck model 3 mil but you can go with the std and you'll still have a better suit than any off the rack one I've seen. And they will add pockets, zippers, and the fit and quality is awesome. Mine is warmer than my BARE 5mm and easily as warm as the 5mm Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene I also have due to the construction and the fit. I'll never buy another off the rack suit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Are you able to use it in warm water too? I was thinking of buying one at the Texas Dive Show tomorrow, but I am worried it might actually be too warm for diving in Cozumel and other warm water locations. They seem to be pretty good wetsuits, but pricy too.

Absolutely can be used in warm water. You need to remember on that first dive if you get a little warm just let some water into the suit via the neck. What some don't realize is that the first dive isn't the one you need the suit for as much as the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 5th.

I take a 5 mil to the Keys even if the water is approaching 80. By the end of a week of diving 3 or 4 dives a day I'm glad I did. A std 3 mil would have me cold by the 4th day. If I were to go back I'd take my 3 mil but also the 2mil shorty I have to put under it and layer with that. If I did get too warm just leave the shorty out of the mix.
As for pricy I don't think so. They are comparable with any other high end suit that MIGHT fit you. The Wetwear one will fit. And their support after the sale is great. I can call and ask to talk to Connie who is the owner and get her on the phone easily.

And their use of rubatex and the nitrogen compressed neoprene insures that your suit is not going to compress as much as suits using std neoprene. That means your buoyancy does not change as much and you stay warmer at depth.

Absolutely can be used in warm water. You need to remember on that first dive if you get a little warm just let some water into the suit via the neck. What some don't realize is that the first dive isn't the one you need the suit for as much as the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 5th.

I take a 5 mil to the Keys even if the water is approaching 80. By the end of a week of diving 3 or 4 dives a day I'm glad I did. A std 3 mil would have me cold by the 4th day. If I were to go back I'd take my 3 mil but also the 2mil shorty I have to put under it and layer with that. If I did get too warm just leave the shorty out of the mix.
As for pricy I don't think so. They are comparable with any other high end suit that MIGHT fit you. The Wetwear one will fit. And their support after the sale is great. I can call and ask to talk to Connie who is the owner and get her on the phone easily.

And their use of rubatex and the nitrogen compressed neoprene insures that your suit is not going to compress as much as suits using std neoprene. That means your buoyancy does not change as much and you stay warmer at depth.

Thanks for the information. I did go ahead and buy one today. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Back
Top Bottom