Layering for tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maweber

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 3/2mm wetsuit as my main exposure prtection. It fits a little tight but I think I could wear a hooded vest underneath it if I needed to. We are going on a liveaboard trip and I am worried of getting cold after 3-4 dives a day 6 days in a row. First I was thinking of buying a 5mm suit but then came accross all these layering options like farmer John's, vests, hooded vests, core warmer etc that can be worn underneath or on top.Which one do you prefer ? Or for example Is Henderson stuff (cold core) really worth the money ? I usually dive dry so I have a real lack of knowledge here..:)
Many thanks
Martin

You didn't say where you were going but I think temps considered tropical start at 80 degrees. Warmest for me so far is 86. It's like bath water. I've seen people do 3 dives in a day with no exposure protection at all. I have a 2mm shortie and 3/2 full and usually use both when on a week long trip.

Unless you are really cold natured your 3/2 should be fine. Also take a shortie if you have one. Depending on where you go the bigger problem is going to be how hot you get suited up in that 3/2 full while waiting to jump in.

But a hood or hooded vest would be handy just in case.

maweber:
Hi,
I have a 3/2mm wetsuit as my main exposure prtection. It fits a little tight but I think I could wear a hooded vest underneath it if I needed to. We are going on a liveaboard trip and I am worried of getting cold after 3-4 dives a day 6 days in a row. First I was thinking of buying a 5mm suit but then came accross all these layering options like farmer John's, vests, hooded vests, core warmer etc that can be worn underneath or on top.Which one do you prefer ? Or for example Is Henderson stuff (cold core) really worth the money ? I usually dive dry so I have a real lack of knowledge here..:)
Many thanks
Martin

I dove Bonaire in June and I wore a 3mm suit. I am cold natured though :p
I just prefer to be too warm than too cold. You can always dress down layers.... Better to be safe then freezing your butt off! :) Good luck!

Hi,
we are going to Roatan which should be around 80F but in September we are going to the red sea which seems to be a little bit colder than the classical tropical diving. Some people recommended 5mm since that's where we are going to go on the liveaboard. The air temperature in both places is probably very hot....
Martin

Mishelle:
I dove Bonaire in June and I wore a 3mm suit. I am cold natured though :p
I just prefer to be too warm than too cold. You can always dress down layers.... Better to be safe then freezing your butt off! :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom